Pages

Monday, May 16, 2016

Zbogon Hrvatska or Goodbye Croatia

It is our last night here and it has been a most wonderful trip on our own.  We have never had a not so good food or meal - always excellent - and the people are lovely.  It is a very welcoming place to visit and they depend on tourism more so after the 1990s wars.  Fear of travel is overblown!!!
Every day Ross and I walk to a restaurant before the time if we have reservations and since I am a travel nerd I do make reservations at the popular places.  Tonight's is just outside the main gate of the city walls.  I'm hoping to have fresh sea bass for the 7th time - today was sunny so a good fishing day!  They can't fish in bad or windy weather which only happened one day while here.
 Work and delivery trucks are the only vehicles allowed inside the walls.  This is an amazing feat for this truck to squeeze through with this load of scaffolding and he did "bump" the walls a bit.
We visited Sponza Palace which also holds the Memorial Room of Dubrovnik Defenders - the war during the 1990s when at one point the entire city was without water supply for 8 months and they needed to catch rain water and there were some wells to pump from a spring.  Not easy!
 It is very hard to look at walls of young faces many in their mid 20s who were killed in the war.
 The guides we have spoken with think it might take 3 generations before the wounds of war caused by your close neighbors ease a little.
 So I'm a high energy person and more so when travelling and Ross decided to take a break and I really wanted to take the cable car to the top of Mt. Srd (correct spelling).  These were the steps to get halfway up the hill to the upper town and then a "bit more" to get to the cable car ticket booth.
 The cable car is located above the Old Town in a place called Ploce.  It was started in 1969 and completely destroyed in that War of Independence in the 1990s and rebuilt in 2010.
 Mt. or Srd "Hill" is about 1400 feet up and the ticket booth is apparently 778 feet up so it's a bit of a hike but nice views and steps.
 Fort Imperial at the top of the hill was built during the Napoleonic Wars in the 1800s and of course was the site of one of the fiercest battles in the War of Independence from 1990-1995.  The worst day was December 6, 1991.
 It looked like a bunker under this wooden cross.  The land on top is rough and rocky but not scary.  An Australian guy from Melbourne told me he saw a snake so I stayed on the rocky path instead of wandering all over the place.  It was not crowded but lovely, quiet and peaceful.
 And Mr. Aussie offered to take my photo.  Don't worry I am a good solo female traveler and sport my wedding band and say my husband is not far away:).  Overlooking the city of Dubrovnik and surroundings:
 And the other side:
 And another side with a view of the paths, mountains and no snakes.

 This was the last little climb to the top with a nice sturdy tree to hang onto!
 I am a little adventurous and I really wanted to see something fall but I do not wanted to be fined or hauled away by politika (police)!
 These can be rented or just ride with a guide.  Even though I know how to use a clutch I really did not want to do it on this rocky hill!!!

 And dear hubby Ross waiting for me at our apartment window on my return.  Texting works great and it's the cheapest way to communicate overseas.
So tomorrow:  Another adventure - Taxi pickup at the Pile gate to city walls at 4:45am.  We have another great hostess Ines and the apartment is perfect and excellent location.  Then flight to Zagreb, then flight to Amsterdam, then flight home - so the usual long day but I'm used to it and don't dwell on it.  5:17 pm here so happy hour and time for a little good Posip white wine!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment