We did a walking tour of Diocletian's Palace (basically the walls of the whole city and his retirement home built in the 4th century AD which is about 400 years before Christ BC) with our guide Danko - great and used to be a history teacher so the tour was much longer because he has a lot of information to tell and is proud of it. Our apartment is in the walls of the palace and the bathroom has one entire wall with the original blocks which now has a glass front to protect it. Toni says he had to take a lot of junk off to get to the real stuff.
This is how stuff gets delivered to all the stores and restaurants within the city walls. It is said they are excellent drivers and I believe it because I did not see a single dead body on the streets. This is a wide street compared to most.Gregorius of Nin - who was once a Bishop but disagreed with the Pope and so was defrocked. Since this is a Mestrovic sculpture it is most likely Mestrovic's head and not Nin - I guess he liked to do that. There is the hugest Mestrovic Gallery in Chicago so that is now on my list! Now I'm wondering if the sculpture of Jesus' head is really Nin!!!
Typical walls within the city. 2,000 residents live within the walls and there might be 2,000 restaurants!!!
Danko the tour guide. Everyone is so healthy and fit here and it is all the exercise, cobbled streets, sea air and the Meditteranean diet. I have not watched Game of Thrones but this is where a lot of it is filmed so I might have to catch up on it or at least check it out. Fish are delivered daily at the seaside of the Adriatic and there is sulfur in the water which you can smell and it keeps away the flies - hmmm - new thought for our deck.
This is again about 2500 years old and if you look closely you will see a swastika so that was long before Hitler.
Another Kapela group today and they are so good and pop up when there are enough tourists to listen which I would guess is several times a day.
Typical street alley in Split.
This is the view from our apartment window and Toni owns the apartment since 2013 and also has a caffe bar below which looks very nice and busy and doesn't bother us at all. It is not a restaurant and I'm not sure if they serve any food at all.
We passed this little seaside store that sold books so if I run out of reading material I might need to learn Croatian.
Seaplane tomorrow and we walked 500 miles to find the port today - well, that is a slight exaggeration - because we wanted to see one land but never reached it. So tomorrow is a taxi to the seaplane day. Next update from Dubrovnik.
No comments:
Post a Comment