Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Zagreb to Split - Words and Stories Later!

There is conversation about the "Homeland War" which Croatia prefers versus the "Civil War".  Formerly the Republic Of Yugoslovia included Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia/Herzogovina, Montenegro and Serbia until the breakup in 1990-92.  Our son's good friend was in Kosovo to "keep the peace" in 1996 or so.  It seems there are still land mines in the area to avoid.
This is the work in progress of the Homeland War Museum in Croatia.  Our driver and guide, Miro and Juracic were excellent communicators and storytellers on our 10 hour drive yesterday from Zagreb to Split,Croatia
One stop on the route was the village of Rastoke which still has water mills to grind flour.  I must say I have never had better homemade bread than in Croatia.
The little city of Rastoke:
Next stop:  Plitvice Lakes National Park which has more waterfalls than I have ever seen but of course I have not seen Niagara Falls or Yellowstone but I have seen my hometown of Red Lake Falls and my grandma's town of Thief River Falls, MN.  Where are the falls???????
The Croatians are very respectful of the land and proud of no pollution or damaged lands but they do know that it is because of lack of industrial sites so they need to keep up on the tourism!!
First falls of Plitvice.  The "Lower Lakes" paths were flooded so we could not do that walk but no problem because we still walked for close to 3 hours up climbs and slippery steps but I would not have missed it for anything.
High up on a path and yes those are all real falls in the bottom of the photo.
I saw this little bright green lizard and Juracic "George" to us said on his years of touring he has only seen one before and this day we saw two.  I told him it was the Minnesota Nice project in motion!!!
We took a boat across one of these lakes and it is so peaceful and quiet.
On the path - water very close to the walking path and if trees fall down they only cut them to clear the path and the rest stay in the water to make the ecosystem natural.
Our guide is on the right and we are polite about who takes the board first across the water covered walk.  The Asians usually won and most had the "selfie sticks" which do get quite annoying and are rather a joke to the locals but they do like all the tourist income so "whatever"!!!
Our Golden Palace apartment in Split and Toni (guy) is the owner and couldn't have done a better job and has a bar just below us also - and a 26 month old son and is getting his pilot's license.  He has a lot of energy!!!  It is way less expensive than a hotel and right in the middle of the walls of Diocletian's Palace.  Amazing!

The Split seaport.  We are taking a seaplane from somewhere around here but haven't quite figured that out yet.
The "Green Market" and these little snail buggers were really squiggling around and if I liked snails they might be my dinner or at least an appetizer.
What else but gelato for lunch and since we are just across the Adriatic Sea from Italy there are a few opportunities in every block.
The Split seaport:  Tons of ferries that go to the many islands and also to Italy.
View from the Mestrovic Gallery.  Since art and museums are one of my favorite travel options Ross must join me so he was a brave soul to walk about 20-30 minutes to visit this beautiful gallery.  Mestrovic was a very famous sculptor and artist who emigrated to the USA and actually died in South Bend, Indiana.
Love this family sculpture.
The Mestrovic Gallery:
And just across the street while waiting for the city bus is the Adriatic Sea and a beach.  it looks fake but it is not - believe me!
Back at the bus stop at the seaside quay.
We happened on this a capella group singing Dalmatian songs and couldn't resist buying the CD.  It's how they make a living and they do have wonderful voices and it is free just to stand and listen in this beautiful Cathedral courtyard.
A little alley on the way home.  I would love to be able to hang my laundry on a place like this.
And last night's sea bass which had the head on.  I have learned to be fine with it and this was last night's meal.  Tonight I had the same thing but it came with no head.  Every day many of the restaurants get their fresh vegetables and fish from the local daily markets.
So we have seen Slovenia, lots of Croatia and in a couple days we head to Dubrovnik, Croatia but have arranged a couple day trips to Montenegro and another to Bosnia-Herzogovina so we just have the Sarajevo left for "someday".  I'm happy to have married a brave adventurer and at 69 and 73 years old I feel we are doing very well.  KNOCK ON WOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment