Dubrovnik has had tough times and much of it has been destroyed more than once - wars, earthquakes, fires. We took a walking tour today and I saw this sign and it was a remembrance from the 1991-92 war. Most of the city was destroyed by shelling and Yugoslavia was involved - very difficult to understand and explain. After this guests were asked to bring/donate a stone slab to rebuild and the money to rebuild was from UNESCO because it is a world heritage site and has been for many years. We also visited the War Photo museum and watched a video of war crises such as the current emigrant crisis, Bosnia, Kosovo, Sarajevo where the former Olympic stadium has become a cemetery.
So this morning Ross says "Did you hear the big hailstorm for about 15 minutes in the middle of the night?" I say "No." but from the Dubrovnik Times apparently the city was covered in white hailstones which is very unusual. Today is another story - blue skies, sun, perfection.I think we visited 500 churches:) - not really but Ross loves those best.
One of the ports:
We paid to climb to walk the city walls. Every day I am thankful for our continued health and ability to keep up even if a bit slower than 10 years ago!
Since most of the city was destroyed in the 1990s and all was to be replaced to look original one of the problems was the roof tiles. The first ones were from local clay and more brown/tan and the new ones could only be the reddish color. So wherever you see red - new; and wherever you see brown - old and few!
Another fantastic typical Croatian salad. I have never had such good cheese and ham (we call it prosciutto).
One church - the altars are most beautiful.
This was from the War Photo museum where we learned of the emigrant crisis (Syria, Turkey, Greece and all others involved). I like the map to see where we are, have been and want to go.
And another laundry line - they are all over town and we even have one we could use outside our apartment window but were afraid we might drop clothes on the diners below having beer and coffee!!!
So tomorrow is a tour day to Mostar and Bosnia-Herzogovina and I guess another couple will be with us on the tour with our private guide. So much better than walking with 50 people and being the shortest person!! The next day will be to Montenegro - so 4 countries in 2 days.
No comments:
Post a Comment