Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Last Day in Zagreb - boohoo!!

Church service (Catholic and in Croatian) at the Zagreb Cathedral this morning - the churches here are full, the country is 90% Catholic and it was beautiful music.  
 Walking out the church's front door and we saw this whole group of folkloric dancers performing on the square - good music, good dancing and good looking Croatians!

 Then my favorite thing in the world to do is visit cemeteries.  This is Mirogoj and it is beautiful, huge and moving.  This was one of the arches:
 This was the tomb of the former President of Hvartska (Croatia).  They were selling floral arrangements all over outside the cemetery and lots of people were bringing them in.  A very large one seemed to be about $25 and others $5-7.  hard to believe compared to our prices.
 Love this gravestone with the tree or vine roots wrapping all around it.  It is aging well.
 Walking home we just happened on the Changing of the Guard.
 Then we just HAD to have strukli - a wonderful cheese dish with Crotian noodle type pastry.  Wow - good!  Our lunch with beverages was less than $12 for both of us.
 I had apple juice because I didn't really want to try milk with rum - hmmmm - new concept for getting your calcium.
 Then by myself I walked to the Botanical Garden and on the way I see these homemade and very clever recycling containers placed on people's doors - it says REKLAME.
 Another one:
 This was the Croatian version of a scarecrow in the newly planted area of the garden.
 And back to our neighborhood - Josipa Jalocica Square central to all and the guy has a big horse and spear to protect us.
The people here are happy, smily and so helpful and they have only been independent since 1990s so now I need to study more about the Yugoslavia, Serbia and Croatia, Bosnia, Herzogovina and many more were involved.  The country boundaries and leaders have changed for centuries!!!!
It is Sretan Sat (happy hour) time in Zagreb and then we are off to dinner at the place we ate the first night.  It was so good and if I can I'm having the same thing!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment