Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2015

"Stuff"!!

What I have learned in the last few months:  Appliances generally last 7-10 years.  We had appliances in our first house close to 25 years!  What the H!!!!!  A couple months ago our big gas oven electronic panel "half died" but still could use burners and oven.  Then in mid March the wall oven/microwave died totally 2003 model no longer has parts available.  So we ordered a new one.  Delivered, wouldn't fit in the space unless we moved a switch box with 4 kitchen light switches - done.  New one delivered and installed yesterday but now we need to fill the hole in the cabinets where the switch box was.  The day we left for France I stepped into the laundry room into a puddle - hmm - clothes washer leaking - 2003 model.  Finally got the repairman today $200 but at least there was a part!  He says appliances last 7-10 years on average.  I've heard this a few too many times.
The missing suitcase.  Delivered at 1:02 am 32 hours after we landed.  I do notice it had a red label and a RUSH label - NOT.  And the last email said it was delivered at 9:30pm - NOT because I was on the phone with the guy at midnight!!!  Best thing is all was well, it apparently was not inspected as my fancy French cheese made it along with a few other things:)
Next - just this week got the final tour dates for the White House and Capitol tour next month.  It's Alex's 10th birthday gift and this is the city he chose.  We had to go through a Senator to get the passes which are free.
Last week - lots of rain and looks like a plugged street drain but Alex and Lucy were very happy with it and it made me think of me and my brothers and son Chris doing the same darn thing and how fun it was.  Who am I to stop them???

On our bike ride through the park this beautiful deer was staring at us and just nodding his ears a little.  He wasn't afraid and neither were we.
When I search for picture by number I get old ones from my previous camera.  This is Rooke at the park at 1 year old in 2008.  She's going to be 8 in August!!!
The food of France - I wanted to have all these desserts but held back and only had one.
The restaurant we dined at after the first choice with 8 tables was a failed reservation.  This was close, nice and good food.
This is from the meat market - or boucher aka "butcher" shop.  Ross and I both recall being in Nice France just after 9/11 with hardly any tourists and we saw veau rognons on the menu so decided to try it.  I thought the texture was a little "different" so back at the hotel checked my food translation book - not an app a book!!! and find it was veal kidneys - ewwwwwwww....tiny round things in a sauce.
Ross calls this "fancy stupid food" and I call it "artistic".  It was a wonderful dessert with poached pears on a biscuit (cookie) and sea salt ice cream.  So pretty!
Paul Bocuse - yes I am a "foodie" and we did dine twice at the cooking school.  This is not your ordinary cooking school and the food was wonderful.
Paul Bocuse is in his 80s and still alive.  He's quite a guy and made quite an impact on the food world.  The USA looks more at chain restaurants that serve large quantities but I think the idea is slowly changing to local food with good chefs.  Minneapolis is known for good local restaurants and good chefs.
Another beautiful setting at Brasserie Le Nord Bocuse, a casual restaurant with what else but excellent food.
Love signs - I'll bet a lawsuit would not fly if a tree fell on me in France and that's not a bad idea.,,,the no lawsuit not the tree falling on me!
Les Halles Bocuse Food Hall - cheese all over the place and probably the best in the world.  If only.........
Another casual restaurant and this entree was Poulet Gaston Gerard.  It's chicken in the best creamy wine sauce I have ever had - google the recipe.  The recipe is from 1930 from Mrs. Gaston Gerard who was the mayor's wife in Dijon.
Only thing I left was bone and skin.
I am tired of hearing  people complaining about the USA, how horrible the world is, things are falling apart, we are going to die from the food we eat  - blah blah blah to the doomsayers.  We have met the most wonderful and helpful people on our trips - well except for a couple pickpocketers now and then:).  Our apartment owner in Dijon, Cathy, picked us up and dropped us off at the train station in Dijon.  The apartment was great and she sent me an email saying I had paid her 10Euros too much for the rent and to remind her to return it to me on our last day.  I forgot and she did not!  Nicolas - the guy who helped us on the stalled train for 2+ hours - what a sweetheart and he made sure to led us to where the taxi stand was in Lyon and what to say to the taxi driver.  Vincent - the manager of our Lyon apartment was waiting for us at the front door on arrival, got us a taxi the last day and told us how to get around.  Best thing is that one night we were down the street at a pizza place when I got a text asking if our apt. keys were missing.  Ross checked his pocket and yes they were.  He had tripped on the landing step and they probably fell out then in the hallway fortunately inside the 1st locked door.  Vincent's work partner (they manage 18 apartments in Lyon) is Jean Luc and "50 years old with gray hair, rides a motorcycle" and sure enough he shows up with the keys.  People are good, food is good, life is good if you always try and find the bright side of each day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment