Up and at em today to visit 3 museums since this is the last day of our 3 day Lyon City card and I'm determined to get my money's worth!!! And of course ride the metro, funicular and tram because it's included also!!
This is my "bedside table" - I thought it was a book glued to the wall:)
Street sign near our place - strong woman! Interpreted it means: "By the power of truth I have conquered the universe" - does that mean I never told a lie? No!!!We visited the Roman Gallo Ruins and the Roman Gallo Museum yesterday. The Romans sure had their heyday and had most of Europe. This is the amphitheater and they were setting up for a big concert which would be fun.
Photo shoot at the Roman Gallo Museum - what a view out of the window.
There was a big student competition of varied sorts and this was "hats" I guess. I chose 2 of my favorites - this one of vines and flowers.
This one of corks and an empty wine bottle.....guess which was my choice?
View from the Fourviere Hill over the city of Lyon. The young couple that took the picture for us was from Seattle but she was originally from Stevens Point, Wisconsin - small world.
Then on to the silk worker's museum and display. The loom is centuries old and the silk is still made this way and when we asked the price of one it was $3,000 per meter which is about one yard. Wow - won't be getting that right now.
Ever the engineer Ross nearly had his head in the machine to figure out how it worked. First they draw a pattern in a paper grid form. Then at the top is a roll of paper punched with many holes (think the data card days) which is rolled through with a wooden foot pedal. It takes 6 months to set up the loom for a new pattern.
Meat market -- this is I am sure very special meat.
Gras double - means double fat part of beef stomach so I'm sure much tastier than the regular fat one - NOT!
The street where our apartment is - couldn't be more peaceful and quiet and about a block from the River.
Paul Bocuse - world famous chef and born 11 Feb 1926 still alive. We visited the Institute Paul Bocuse culinary school restaurant here last night and it was a super experience with the students, teachers and beautiful surroundings. They just had the Bocuse d'Or competition here in January and USA was #2 of 24 countries and for the first time ever France was not in top 5. One of the head "coaches" was a Minnesota chef Gavin Kaysen of Spoon and Stable so will need to try that.
Off we go!
No comments:
Post a Comment