Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tuesday 5/17/2011

Going back wards from night to morning! Had the greatest waitress at Teplo in St. Petersburg last night - good food, moderate pricing! On the way out I asked if I could take her photo and this is what she did - right next to the downspout in the "terrace" area. When she asked the kitchen how long before our food would be done she tells me they would make carrapacio out of her (chopped red meat) - great sense of humor and we were not in a hurry.
Typical sign above the toilets here - I must admit that a couple times the toilet paper disposal was an automatic reaction and I did pull it back out and put it in the waste container - a little afraid to break a rule and who might be watching:)
Also in Tepo was a foosball table and here this "babushka" (grandma) is teaching her two little grandsons to play. There is much the same the world over.
Yes, this indeed is a very main and wide street (Nevsky Prospekt) here in St. Petersburg - could hardly believe my eyes when I saw these horses and young women crossing - they would certainly not fit into any of the restaurants and where would they park?
So - here anyone can be a taxi driver and we have not used one. The taxi signs have magnets on the bottom and a wire leading into the car. Just take it off your seat, attach it to the roof and you are a taxi driver.
This is a toilet bowl fit for a Tsar and isn't it wonderful?
This is Katrina our guide here in Moscow - she is delightful and mom of an 8 year old, her husband an engineer of electric power. Our driver Alexii has been a "professional driver" for 15 years and is very good and she likes to ride with him as she doesn't have to give him directions. She has been a guide for 5 years and speaks Russian, English, German and wants to learn French. Said in the past Russia had the best education system in the world (This is true) but now it is becoming Westernized (ie. US) and is falling behind and she finds that sad. They are cutting back on Russian classes from 4 to 1 (equivalent of our English classes). When I asked her if she liked Gorbachev it was a firm no as he caused ethnic classes in the country which caused her family to need to move and still with ongoing problems.
Photo inside Hermitage near our hotel (aka Winter Palace) - I did buy a 200ruble permit to take photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment