Best:
In my first couple days I dropped 4000 rubles ($150) on the ground - fell out of my purse I guess - and a guy tapped me to return it - no English!
Our guides and drivers - the best and sweetest - always on time or early and asking us what we think of things.
Brown speckled hard cooked eggs for breakfast - tasted like farm eggs - mmmm good.
Tchaikovsky Conservatory young director competition - a life's moment and FREE.
The cheeseburger and fries in Helsinki:)
Not So Best:
Paperwork, metal detectors everywhere, "dragon woman" guards everywhere.
Traffic nearly as bad as Cairo.
The toilet paper - not much to it - little squares.
New to Me:
Hearing about Stalin, Lenin, Kruschev, and Gorbachev who started "glasnost" (openness) and perestroika (restructuring) which I always thought was a good thing but was somewhat of a failure for Russia - led to poverty, crime and chaos. The other side is now the Russian people finally found out some truths about their country - corruption, hiding of the facts about Chernobyl and other things. Overall the Russians are stoic - they have had to be with hundreds of years of assassinations, overthrows, wars etc. In fact they are also very delightful.
I was also surprised at the number of women guards - mostly women in fact. Also the mayor of St. Petersburg is a woman.
Miscellaneous Pictures:
No comments:
Post a Comment