Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Revolutionary!

Superpower downspout!!! Italian pizza for dinner - just as good as Italy even in Russia - who would have thought. Our guide Katrina is young, from Chechyna area in southern Russia (may sound familar as it is very unstable); her mother took her grandmother, uncle and other family members and fled with nothing to St. Pete to save themselves in the 1990s . On our city tour today she pointed out Cafe Singer in a beautiful building and yes, it is Singer Sewing Machine which had a big factory here. Also sorry to say we missed the 9th annual Smelt Festival in S.P.
Famous St. Isaac's Cathedral - looks similar to St. Basils in Moscow except all but the globes are in very small mosaics.
St. Peter and Paul Cathedral - very windy today but good for touring.
Tombs of Nicholas II and Alexandra (they were sent to Siberia, assassinated and I have for long been fascinated by a movie I saw about them many years ago a great love story. They were moved here in 1998 80 years after their death and Boris Yeltsin attended the service, our guide said "he was crying and most likely drunk like usual"
Car and driver in the center - had time to have a smoke every time we stopped - always opened my door and helped me into the car. I recommend this way to travel in Russia as it was less costly than a large tour and very personalized.
Our hotel staircase Pushka Inn Hotel on Moika River embankment - 18th century building but rooms are good, Room 207 ours is below and looks over the river, next picture front of hotel from across the "street".


Going backward in pictures - typical village we saw on the train from Moscow to S.P...many black houses an occasional bright green (horrifying I am sure)
Click to enlarge - a cemetery - I loved the difference from the one in Moscow and especially the reflection of the trees in the water.
Well, lunch on the train - chips, water and a little wine poured under the table! I don't think it was illegal but I have been halted, stopped and told "nyet" (no) a few times here - mostly for camera. The train was great.
Lunch in Moscow - mine - 4 "sponge cakes" - didn't know what to expect, variety of cheese, cabbage, mushroom and meat - lot of bread!!!!!
Tomorrow going to The Hermitage - a giant multi-building art museum (Ross is already complaining of bad back and feet - hmmmmmm) - it was the former Winter Palace of the Tsars. Our guide quietly mentioned our free day Thursday and offered to take us to another castle out of town "off the record" and when asked gave me a ruble amount. A young married person trying to make a living and working very hard at it. Says people from other countries and republics move in and "take jobs" - sound familiar - it is truly a global world as the European countries are having the same economic problems.
I am happy to see the Space Shuttle Endeavor safely lifted off with Mark Kelly today with 45,000 "guests" and 1.5 million watchers nearby.
After hearing of all the trials, tribulations, revolutions etc I admire the Russian people for their fortitude and putting one foot in front of the other each day. They have all been more than kind to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment