Lily after eating out of the butter dish - drags a little wooden stool everywhere so she can watch and help. Lily and niece Molly left yesterday afternoon for a weekend in St. Paul! Pretty quiet at our house:)
Second cousins - the best. Lily usually is wearing a hand me down of Lucy's - Lucy is sharing her Honey Nut Cheerios. I must admit there is a little occasional competition between the two - if they were late teens you might call it small catfights!Molly and I had time to look through recipe boxes of my mom, my mom's sister and their mother, my Grandma Sylvester. Pretty interesting with lots of jello and hot dish recipes from my great-aunts also. I really liked the Swedish Egg Coffee one - not an ounce of Swedish blood in on any side - go figure.
Grandma Laura Sylvester's Boston Baked Beans
1 pound (2 cups) dry navy beans
1- 1/2 quarts cold water
1 tsp salt (put in soaking water)
Soak overnight.
Mix:
1/3 c brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 pound bacon
1 med onion sliced
ADD JUNK AND COVER BAKE 5-7 HOURS AT 300 DEGREES.
Now if you knew my grandmother, who always corrected our grammar and was ever the schoolteacher (until she was 68), I could hardly believe she used the word "junk". I'm going to have to try this recipe.
Bon Appetit!
Mailed our passports and applications for Russian visa today - nearly gives me palpitations to not have my passport at the ready and I will wait with bated breath - definition of that: Breathing that is subdued because of some emotion or difficulty - oh yah!

No comments:
Post a Comment