Pages

Monday, June 25, 2018

The Wall That Heals - MN Vietnam Memorial

I'm halfway through posting photos and notes from our Rhine River trip but I must say every day is busy with something.  This weekend we had kid duty so we visited the travelling exhibit of the 3/4 size replica of the Washington DC Vietnam Memorial wall.  Every name, every panel and set up in front of our beautiful State Capitol which is now totally restored.
The title on this military statue is "What about us?" reminding us to not forget our veterans and all they have done for this country.  I think this was especially true after the Vietnam War which noone wanted to talk about for a long long time.
 Two of my hometown classmates were killed in Vietnam at ages 21 and 23 and I remember how devastating it was to hear of it.
 Lucy in the Huey helicopter which also did a flyover.
 There was an artist on the ground letting everyone put their touch of paint on the picture of the wall.  Lucy did it!
 Doing name rubbing of both my Red Lake Falls hometown guys.  Alex got to see them in Washington DC with us 3 years ago on his 10 year old Bapa and Grammy trip.  Lucy and Rooke are coming up in July and it's New York City.
 Minnesota State Capitol and my favorite little buddies - Alex is now 13 and it's hard to believe how time flies.
 On the ground are a whole bunch of huge rocks engraved with notes from each county in Minnesota.
 This is my home county - Red Lake County Minnesota
 The flyover and it's sad to see when the missing man formation splits off and one plane goes off to the side.  I have seen it before and it gives me shivers every time.
 And our famous replica of the Liberty Bell - not quite as big as Philadelphia but pretty awesome.  I guess there are 57 replicas all over the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment