Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2018

June 9 - last day in Amsterdam!

It's June 11 Monday today and we are on the Rhine in Germany and as usual I am behind on photos and posting.  So this is from the day before yesterday - words later!!!  OK - just a note as today is June 24 and I am still catching up.
Just a little aside - there are 800,000 inhabitants in Amsterdam and 1 million bikes - and they have the right of way everywhere no matter what!!!!  We got "little bell dinged" a few times which I do understand.
This was the view down the long hall of the boat - cabins on each side with big windows looking out on the river.
This is the view of the "public" area which was a cocktail lounge with entertainment on one floor and a dining room on the 2nd floor.  Our friend Greg is a musician (retired) and played in a band and taught music in schools so one night he played the piano and got a standing ovation.  He is definitely a rock star with a rock n roll personality!
Amsterdam - visited the Rijksmuseum and I thought this famous painting was interesting as the royal guy had his hand on the woman showing that she was his I guess.  Interesting with the full art museum and our guide - the short people (me included) were called Tauckettes (the tour company is Tauck) and we always got called to the front nicely so we could see.  Wow - impressive!!!
Ross and the little Dutch statues - so cute and fun.
On the canal cruise we saw many houseboats and this one was so awesome as were many others - and some not so much!
Not sure what this is but there was lots of written graffiti on it and the bottom line with the umbrella, lightning and rain clouds says "Stupid Rain - I am Pisswet" - of course I got the giggles and passed it on to our friends.
There are so many places in Europe that show memorials and memories of the WWII battles.  We are so lucky in the USA and I do with more Americans would take the time to think and appreciate it.
These are called "Dancing Houses" as they all lean a little.  Amsterdam is basically built on a big pile of sand and mud and the canals are manmade and all over the place.  To prevent one enemy from coming in they opened the dams and flooded the city which worked for a while.
The Group of Four Goofballs.
This was a bridal shower in an area close to the Red Light District - yes there is one and we walked through it.  I have seen it about 3 times before but it is always interesting.  Prostitution has been legal and controlled for many years but apparently it attracts more tourists than locals.
Marijuana aka cannabis has also been legal in the Netherlands for as long as I can remember.  So while Linda and I were chatting they guys left and came back with a couple brownies called "Space Muffins" with some warnings about eating them slowly.  OK OK OK - we shared a few bites and it was "interesting".  And since we are home as I am writing this I did save the ingredient label which says "Start with a little piece and wait 40-90 min for the effect" - Lucy was looking at the pictures on my camera as we were driving and she said does it say "wait....." because it might make you toot:) - she's a stitch for sure and I sputtered out a funny answer and said "yes, probably".....
This is our boat from the front:
This was one night's entertainment - a group of sailors who were hilarious entertainment and they had black and white striped shoes.
And off we go heading through one of many locks:

No comments:

Post a Comment