Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Delft, Netherlands by train, tuk tuk and foot!

10:20pm in Haarlem, Netherlands.  Today's photos and more to come but stories will be maybe tomorrow:):):)
Ok it's a couple days later now and I'm back.
First night dinner in Haarlem at the Specktakel restaurant which was "Asian and world fusion".  I was a little skeptical but did have reservations and read a lot of reviews at home.  I had African lamb skewers, Japanese salmon and a lovely dessert of course and it was awesome!
This might be hard to read but I loved the descriptions of the wines.
The canal in Delft.
Hotel Lion d'or cafe/breakfast area/lounge area and the breakfast buffet was huge and delicious.  Wonderful staff to boot!
In the background is the "front desk" and usually one person or that person might be in the lounge area serving beer or cleaning up.  Loved the hotel!
Train station - heading to Delft.
Train station bathroom - love the maximum time to use.  I wonder what happens after 15 minutes?????
Old Church in Delft.
More cheese and I wish I could bring a few rolls back!
Crypts, tombs etc in the New Church in Delft - awesome and I love to read the descriptions and signs.
Poor Queen Sophie - in her words "her life ended on her wedding day" - hmmm - poor Sophie!
People are no longer buried in the church floor as they found out the "smell" after the body rotting would leak out.  The richer you were the more you paid to be closer to the altar so the stink was worse there.


Yes they have tuk tuks in Delft and we took a short ride as the guy was finishing his shift and took us to one of the churches on his way home.



This guy apparently loved his wife enough to give her this awesome tomb in the beautiful church.






A canal on a street in Delft - nice peaceful quiet street just a block from the Grote Markt - the main square.


No comments:

Post a Comment