Thank goodness we got a little daily schedule telling us where to be and when and it worked perfectly. However I will always also like to do my own detailed planning for "my trips"!
Cologne - one of the largest and most important cities in Germany since the Romans inhabited it close to 2000 years ago. In WW II the city endured 262 air raids by the Western Allies which completely wiped out the center of the city and 20,000 civilians. It is the center of the German Roman Catholic Church and is well known for the Cologne Cathedral started in 1248, abandoned around 1650 and not finished until 1880. The golden sarcophagus is said contain the bones of the Magi (Three Kings) but who really knows?????Top of the deck on the Rhine river. It was never crowded and quiet and lovely.
There were so many beautiful little villages on the way.
I think Greg and Ross were trying to figure out how they were docking - lots of butt pictures:)
The Cologne cathedral is huge and I'm sure the biggest of any I have seen and that number is in the 100s I am sure thanks to spending 46 years now with a Cathedral addict!
These were so beautiful but I'm pretty sure they don't have elevators and I no longer want to go up 5 floors of skinny stairs to go to bed!
I love love love ice cream - any country any style any flavor and I'm very good at spotting a shop from a long way out!
This was crossing the moat to our dinner at Schloss Ehreshoven (an old castle) and it was lovely and had musical entertainment to boot. Not sure what this sign means but pretty sure it means don't jump the fence.
This is the walk to the front:
And our table at dinner. It was a "dress-up" night but since we travel light and I wear my stuff 4-5 times I always think it's silly to bring some fancy thing to wear one night.....so I don't and I'm sure noone remembers and I don't remember what anyone else wore either.
Another beautiful waterway by the Schloss.
This is from a postcard at the Schloss and it is a tourist destination I am sure and most likely meetings and gala events like weddings are held here.
On the way home the sun was setting and I could get a photo from the bus - a little blurry but beautiful.This is from the top deck of our boat.
So awesome it almost doesn't look real but it is!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment