Pages

Friday, June 15, 2018

Basel, visit Luzern (aka Lucerne), arrive Bern - all Switzerland

A few things I learned:  Everyone ages 20-35 has to serve 6 months of mandatory .duty in the military.  Switzerland is a "neutral country" so very few tax dollars go to the military.
We were at a "Three Country Corner" - France, Germany, Switzerland.
LSD drug was invented in Basel
 In the 1950s bunkers were required and are still here and this one was for sale.  8,000 bunkers in WWII some of which now are turned into hotels - yes in real bunkers underground!
 The Lion of Lucerne monument structure of the 1820s to memorialize Swiss guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French revolution.  And the Swiss guards also march in front of the Vatican and St. Peter's Square, Rome.
 The wooden bridge of Lucerne - the last time Ross and I were there it was rainy, cold and windy and what a difference this day was!
 Another lovely castle hotel on a hill:
 We did luck out as white asparagus was in season.  I guess it is regular asparagus that is totally grown and kept covered so it won't turn green - very expensive!
 This was a bit of a strange name for this fancy store as we passed by on the shopping street in Lucerne.  I read it, then read it aloud to our friends and we just stood and stared for a while....them "hmmmmmm....interesting".

 This really means I Love You!
 Outdoor lunch on Lake Lucerne and we had very welcome burgers and it had another interesting bathroom sign!

 And the ladies' room also had an interesting vending machine - ob tampons and mini vibrators - another "hmmmmmm.......interesting" from our group.
 This was our view as we walked back to the hotel from the pub in Bern, Switzerland - lovely day again!


No comments:

Post a Comment