I'm not sure why these pictures are in the opposite order of our daily activities but here we go!
We visited the Imperial War Museum which was another place on my bucket list. It was free and wonderful and it is 100 yearsold. It has 5 floors and it starts with World War I, then WWII, then the Holocaust, and on to Vietnam, Crimean, Japan,Korea and all the wars that continue to happen around the big world up to present times.
This was November 11, 1918 display of flags that were being sold on that day in Britain thanking all the people that helped to end the war. I hate to say "win the war" because no matter what there are so many lives lost.
A letter to a high ranking military person named Kichener who apparently had a lot of young women who were interested in him!And this is a little blurry but it is part of our 9/11 which Britain calls 11 September 2001 and that is the proper way I guess. It does mention "sickening" violence which of course is still happening all over the world.
I have always read about the large world power that Britain was and I have also seen older and recent movies about that history. This was in 1914.
A war relic that was crushed, smashed and burned - maybe an armored vehicle. There were a lot of films to watch in old black and white with information new to me as I have never lived in a place that was hit directly by bombs, missiles, or chlorine gas.
This is the beautiful IWM or Imperial War Museum.
So starting the day we went to Sunday Eucharist at St. Paul's Cathedral. It is a place where Ross attended often on Sundays in the 18 months he lived in Britain. It is Anglican and a lot is sung in Latin and it is very formal. As of today: I started out Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, then Episcopalian when we got married, then both changed to Presbyterian and now both of us are United Methodist which is where my mom and her family started!
John Wesley -who actually started the Methodist church after switching from Anglican which he didn't agree with wholeheartedly.
And no pictures allowed in the beautiful and wondrous Cathedral but we did get one on the steps. It's huge! The sermon was short but was basically Jesus is on our side and we should love and not judge others - AMEN! And dinner tonight was yummy yummy Italian pizza and I was ready for a change. Off to Liverpool by train in the morning for all that is the Beatles and I can't wait! 4.9 miles on my pedometer so far today and we are in for the night.
No comments:
Post a Comment