Made it just fine to Paris yesterday via Manchester UK and Flybe Airlines (Air France subsidiary). Our airport driver was a lovely young guy from Russia whose family moved here 20 years ago for a better life. Got checked into our apartment, internet didn't work until this morning but we lived through it!!!:):):)
Greeting us on the Metro this morning!
First visit Musee de la prefecture de police on the 3rd floor of a real police department and of course a thorough bag check, free admission, big smiles and this is our entrance view. The children in school did a little art to thank the police and it was lovely and well deserved.A police uniform from the 1700s and I would guess maybe he was Chief of Police - or maybe just a regular cop.
Yes a guillotine when they were still used. Remember that Marie Antoinette I think had her head chopped off with this in a public square.
I'm not sure what this means but the whole place was super interesting as it is also a crime museum.
And a mug shot from the early 1900s. That is a very large camera!
Lunch - lovely and I had a limonade citron (sparkling lemonade) and a camembert baguette sandwich which was wonderful with that good smell. Since I couldn't eat it all I bagged it quietly into my purse and then my purse was a bit smelly but good smell.
The famous Paris Metro. I can't tell you how many stops we visited or how many stairs we walked but we did 5.5 miles (Ross says it must be 40 miles!) getting to all our different places.
And exiting (or sortie as it is in French) the Metro was a lovely thing and again made me smile.
Hey Kids It's the Eiffel Tower! Reminded me of the European vacation National Lampoon movies.
Next stop - Les Invalides which includes Napoleon's Tomb, Museum of Liberation, Resistance Museum and Napoleon's Tomb. I am always in awe when I see how many countries are so thankful for the good old United States of America - or Etats Unis in French - help with war times both WWI and WWII.
And there is President Eisenhower and a few other famous faces on the wall.
Next stop - I am fondly gazing at Napoleon's tomb and I did learn on our Scandinavian trip last spring that Napoleon was taller than 4 ft 9inches as the fake news proclaims. Truth or lie look me in the eye?????
Walking to the next metro stop I spotted this central Paris gas station - amazing and very small.
Notre Dame Cathedral and yes there are a lot of police all over the place and they are well armed with assault rifles and bulletproof vests and helmets but they are so smiley and lovely every time I ask them directions to somewhere.
Next - we checked out the long long long line to get into Notre Dame Cathedral and since we have been there before decided to forego it and go to the Archeological Crypt on the grounds of the Cathedral and it was amazing what was dug up a few hundred years ago.
And Notre Dame - the sun wasn't shining today but we only had a light mist now and then so another lucky day weatherwise.
After a 7-8 hour day of rambling we had dinner 1 minute away from our apartment and within 5 minutes of this photo this place was totally full and great food. We have learned that it pays to make reservations far ahead as they were turning people away just like the last couple nights.
Beef Bourgignon - how can you not like the shared pot as we both ordered the same thing.
And our waitress recommended the chocolate souffle with a little strawberry meringue for beauty and a little sea salt caramel ice cream to top it off. Ross to Dee: "If you can't finish it I can help you". Reply: "I think I'll be fine!"
So 2:30pm at home and 9:30 pm in Paris and I'm ready to wind down and call it a night!



No comments:
Post a Comment