Pages

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Boohoo - one more day in my favorite city!

So this is normal for us!  Ross went to Sainte-Sulpice around the corner for morning services and organ music (in French of course) and I took off on a long walk across the River Seine to the BHV Marais huge department store which reminds me of the old Dayton's in downtown Minneapolis.  Lucked out with another beautiful day starting cloudy and then sunny!  I left at10:30 am and returned "home" at 2pm and I only put 3.5 miles on my pedometer.

 I passed by this and thought of my sweet high school friend Peggy whose real name is Marguerite (French Canadian from Red Lake Falls).  I remember her mom speaking French at her house and I thought it was awesome as my Grandma Schultz spoke German!!!  I would love to meet Peggy for lunch here and I could easily find the place again.
 This guy was "older" with a gray beard and riding this awesome bike that could hold one passenger and had a gold metal cash box. I wanted to do it but was waiting for someone else to step up first - no luck!

 I have visited this department store a few times and in the basement is the most awesome DIY "bricolage"aka hardware store I have ever seen.  It has 6 floors and I purchased a sink mat (easy to pack:)) and two vegetable peelers as France has the best.  One of them I chose under a plastic door and picked the wrong one first - a paring knife -and the young clerk said he would give me a receipt and I could pay at cashier and return to pick it up.  When I noticed it was wrong and I wanted a peeler he said:  "No problem, I take cash here and you have it as it cannot be used for killing" - love it and he had the biggest smile as he looked at my white hair and American language!!!
 This was a church at one time and the only thing remaining is the 16th century tower and it has been renovated and you can climb it if you buy a ticket.  I was running out of time so had to skip it.
 The Palace of Justice with the Church Saint Chapelle in the background and yes the sky is blue and beautiful and this is not a fake photo!
 Back home watching the news I am hearing a clip clop on the street in front of our apartment and it is the "Gendarmerie" or police on horseback and yes that is a little kid in front of them on some type of little scooter.  I so love Paris!
Got back in time so we could attend a 90 minute organ concert with "explanations" in French of course and - Now - 6:45 pm, dinner reservations at 7 pm about 1 minute away at an Italian place (not much open on Sunday) but I'm having pizza!!!!  And I always much prefer walking and seeing the city than being in the Metro in an underground tunnel even if it's faster!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment