9:15pm here in Paris and I'll do the comments on these photos tomorrow - patience is a virtue and a fun and full life is the goal!!! Full day Basilique St. Denis, Chateau Vincennes, lots of time on the metro and a super fun dinner meeting 2 new couples (one in their mid 80s and still travelling on their own and another female partner couple from California). The restaurant tables in these small restaurants are about 2" apart and it's a fantastic way to meet new friends!
OK - it's a day later and I have time!
We took the Metro to Basilique St. Denis and there was also a market and it was very interesting. I guess it is rather a poor suburb with a lot of immigrants from African countries.
I'm not sure what this was at the meat counter but it is a whole animal with the head on!
Pig's ears but holy cowthat was a big pig - or maybe a wild boar that ate too much and was as big as a Minnesota elk?This said Boeuf (beef) but Ross said it looks more like pig feet than cow feet. Any ideas?
And on the way to the Basilica we could have arranged our funerals.
Beautiful Basilique St. Denis which holds the tombs of many of the Kings and Queens of France and it was awesome.
This was quite an interesting tomb with the skull and other "things".
This is probably the hugest and most beautiful crypt I have ever seen anywhere in the world.
And yes indeed it is the preserved heart of Louis XVII who was born in Versailles and died when he was 10 years old (1785-1795) and was the son of Marie Antoinette and King Louis XVI
Error in my photo note - should be King Louis XVI - I think - it's all very confusing!
Sign on the metro is pretty clear. If you are a bunny don't walk through a closing door:Next stop Chateau Vincennes - a former hunting ground and chateau for royalty which also over the years held prisoners but was not a regular prison - imprisonment at the whims of royalty I think.
More beautiful sky over the Chateau.
This is where the words sadist or sadistic or sadism came from I am sure. He was rather a nasty guy!
There is a beautiful chapel on the chateau grounds and I love the way Europe cares for the historical buildings instead of tearing down and building another more modern one!
The Chapel - silent and beautiful.
It said 70 steps to the loft (in French of course) so as I climbed up I counted and there were only 67 as the last 3 went nowhere. I waved to Ross down below!
Restaurant tables in small restaurants in Europe are about 2 inches apart and when someone else moves in they pull the table out so they can get in behind it. This couple was lovely - from New York City and still travelling on their own. They don't like tours or cruises and have been to Paris 15 times and all over the world. He is 90 and she is 84 and they have been married for 65 years. Will this be us??? They were staying at a hotel nearby where we stayed and also where Chris and Amy stayed in Paris a few years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment