Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Julia Child, Paris Fashion Show and Fajitas!

It is now Saturday October 1, 10am in Paris - this is another corner of the apartment - there is some connection to an artist group so we have VERY LARGE artwork on the walls - some is a bit strange also. The whole place we think is about 500-600 sq ft - quite compact!
The little teeny tiny itty bitty kitchen corner - has everything I need for breakfast - would not want to cook Thanksgiving dinner here. Not sure why but in my dream last night my freezer at home quit working and I had what appeared to be a 50lb turkey in there that I needed to toss~I think the dream arose from what one of our workmen said "if we work while you are gone we need to bring a generator so we don't blow a breaker as all your food would spoil" - they are not working at our house while we are gone so that's good.
Our apartment corner after dark last night with Ross lurking on the corner.
Embarrassing but true - we got hungry for Mexican food so did some checking on Fajitas - right near us. The owners are a Mexican guy and his American wife - it was very good! I did talk to her and she came here as a college exchange student, returned and has now lived here 20 years and loves it. We exchanged Trip Advisor stories (mine as a trip researcher and hers as the owner of a place).
I love the look of this wine shop just down the street from us.
So yesterday - walked to Museum Duyputren at the College of Medicine - had the wierdest real body parts in jars that I have ever seen in one room - mostly diseased or with other problems! But first on the way in there is a huge crowd, many press, photographers, cool looking people not dressed at all like me. The sign read Semaine des creatures de mode - it was the opening day of the Paris Fashion Show and of course to get into the hall you needed a huge camera and a press pass.
I think these two girls had nothing but beauty as I noticed they didn't get into the show - maybe hoping to model someday? Saw quite a few males and females like that!
If you have seen the movie "Julie and Julia" or read "My Life in France" re Julia Child you may have read about this store where she bought her equipment - amazing dusty old store with little cubbies of all kinds of stuff, rather dark - and no price on anything!
So far: the weather is gorgeous - about 80 and sunny every day and not humid. Today we are having lunch in the home of one of Ross' grade school friends who has lived in Paris over 25 years. We are meeting his partner at the post office where he works - and glory be - it is 2 blocks from our apartment. He is driving us to Boussy Saint-Antoine, a suburb, where we are having a "big lunch" and told not to eat before we arrive. I have met Jon and Philippe in the past and it was fun and it will be even more fun to see a Parisian house and have home cooked food - then we must find our way back on the RER (train) and metro. 5.7 miles on the pedometer yesterday - not so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment