Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

Patagonia to Buenos Aires

Back to yesterday - we left Llao Llao hotel in Patagonia territory of Argentina and then drove to San Carlos Bariloche (nearby small town) and then to Cerro Campenario chairlift to rise up 3,000 feet for the most beautiful views of the Andes and lakes.  There was a devastating vocanic eruption here 6 June 2011 and it destroyed so much of the land, tourism and the economy and they are begging us to tell people to come here - so that is what I am doing.  It is beautiful and great as are the people.
 This photo does not look real but it is...
 At the very top of the hill..this country is very Catholic, actually do go to church and there are little things everywhere that pop up to honor religion.
 Our bartender last night was Rodriguo and Ross and Christo (the Greek guy) had the honor of having him explain how he makes vodka martinis and what kind of single malt scotch he has chosen.  Joan and I pretty much stick with the wine.
 This is real also - 3,000 feet up and Ross is afraid of heights and I am not.  The chairlift only slows down to get off and on and I'm short so I have to back up and jump up a little.  There was a guy taking pictures at the top and I notice Ross took his white knuckled hands off the bar for the photo:)
 If you have seen Evita (the play or movie with Madonna) the real Eva Peron spoke from this balcony.  I need to tell more of the story later as tomorrow we get the gossip and controversy of the leadership of Juan and Eva Person (despot or saving graces?).  This is our local guide Alejandro and he's great.
 The "Pink Palace" where Juan and Eva lived and the balcony is toward the left.
 The church statues are very graphic - true and bloody.
 Graffiti is known as "expressionism" here and is not against the law and there are a lot of beautiful walls.
 La Boca neighborhood - very interesting and colorful and we did get to walk around a lot there.
 The houses are all wood and corrugated metal and can be painted any color but are also a fire hazard because of the wood.
 The people here are very proud that Pope Francis was born in Buenos Aires even if they don't agree with all he says and I think most feel he is not helping his home country.  This is his statue on a balcony in LaBoca.
 Hmmmmm?????
 Eva Peron - controversy over the expense of this large lighted thing on both sides of this tall building - money for this no money for the people?  Saint or sinner???
 There was a big protest in this park over hydraulic fracking - much the same as the controversy in the USA.  Here they feel also that it will contaminate the soil and water.  Chevron and Monsanto were two of the companies that were targeted.
 Cafe Tortoni - the oldest cafe in Buenos Aires and it looked like Paris.  The poets, playwrights, educators and "intelligent" people gathered here in the 1900s.  Ross can point his finger at these guys but not at anyone else I know!!!!
 I had a tiny "to get" list from Chris and Alex and I scored on the Lionel Messi shirts from Team Argentina soccer - I guess he's world famous - for Cristobar and Alejandro as it would be in Spanish.  He's the captain of the Argentinian football team or what we would call soccer I guess.  Chris and Alex seem to know their sports because it wasn't hard to find these!!
So tonight we have a late dinner and tango show - we meet in the lobby and 8pm to bus to the show place and might get home a little after midnight.  I'm mentally prepared:)
Beautiful - I want my garage door like this but I would get a city citation in Bloomington I am sure!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment