Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

Paula Deen, Robert Redford, Meredith and a Little House in the South

What a Day: Another sunny and mid-80s with a little humidity - think soft skin, lank hairstyle. We got in line by 9:15 to be able to eat EITHER lunch or dinner (line was then 1 1/2 blocks long) at The Lady and Sons (Paula Deen's restaurant) - don't know if you have watched her on the Food Channel but she has big hair and got her start due to agorophobia ?sp fear of going out in public, started making box lunches and catering and her sons delivered; husband left her because of the fear but she married Captain Michael!!!! I took a picture of our starter (hoecake and cheese biscuit) - I did notice my sandals skidding a bit on the greasy wooden floors on the 3rd floor of the restaurant - it is much like a food factory. Our waitress, Meredith, http://www.mlear.com/, just graduated from SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) with a Bachelor's in Illustrating and will work for one year and then get her masters in Drawing somewhere. Said SCAD is very expensive (about $28,000 per year) - it is all over Savannah in the restorations - She called it "drawling" and is from Tennessee where her father wears a Gopher sweatshirt in honor of Tubby Smith who moved to UofM from Tennessee! It's a small world indeed. Bottom line - she is trying to get her children's book published - so please buy her book -and then buy Beth's book when it is published - http://www.bsolheim.com/ - one of my bestest friends in Bemidji.


So - on our Oglethorpe trolley tour trip this home was pointed out - smallest house in Savannah, $157K a few years ago and I am going to check the current price - it is one room but does have a loft! Then ---- we happened on this. You may recognize Robert Redford, who is directing a new film, "The Conspirator" - the story of Mary Surratt from the 1860s, who was the lone woman among those conspiring to assassinate Abe Lincoln - and was sucessful. Filming is expected to bring in 8-12 million dollars to Savannah by the time it is completed on December 15. Ross waiting patiently while I waited patiently for each sight of "Bob".
Oh - and what I had for lunch at Lady and Sons - soup and sandwich: soup was Caldo (collard greens, sausage, lima beans, and broth) and homemade chicken salad sandwich and a taste of what else - peach cobbler! Georgia peaches are the best in the world and my mother-in-law Dorothy always made sure we had them when they were in season - I do miss her and the South brings back many memories of haints, peaches, and Yankees!!! I also think of her telling me now and then how she got Tamiflu from "Dr. Weaver", her friend, and now seeing Tamiflu back in the news with the H1N1 or Swine Flu. She also told me I was really really nice and even overheard "delightful" for a Yankee and it warmed my heart many times. Y'all come back, ya hear - I'll be back tomorrow if there is anything to report.

Y
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment