Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Two Days in Geneva

Arrived yesterday and while waiting for apartment key pickup time walked a few steps to Lake Leman and had ice cream - brrrrrrr - a little chilly but it sure was good.
 So this is our digs for these 4 nights.  It is HUGE compared to the 20x20 last place and this room contains living, dining, bedroom, tv room but we are living high as there is a tiny separate kitchen (with one plugin outlet of course) and a separate bathroom.  Requires unlocking 3 doors to get into the apartment which is just fine with me.  And it has an elevator!  It certainly does not have the contemporary feel:) - but I do notice that almost every place we have stayed in for years has a whole lot of stuff from Ikea - and I love Ikea in Bloomington MN!
 We have a teeny tiny balcony and we can actually see Lake (Lac) Leman from it.  Since Ross is height phobic he stays well away from the edge.
 The sunset last night was just beautiful - it looked as though the Alps were on fire.
 I can't understand the milk language on the bottle but I drank out of this jug and mmmmmm good I'm pretty sure it was whole milk because it tasted like my childhood.  We have a toaster this time, no coffeemaker but I can figure it out and I have time.
 Sunset on the way home from dinner last night.
 So it's pretty frou-frou (is that French) even to have a furry scale and trash can in the bathroom - first for me.
 Today - Thursday May 23, 2013 was my day and I love museums and we did 3 of them.  We started at the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum and it was fantastic for history and where they have helped out all over the world.  I do know this week they have been called to Oklahoma to help the tornado victims.  Ross' Aunt Gennie volunteered with the Red Cross and I remember her telling me about rolling bandages to send to places that needed them.
 Very nicely manicured trees on the lakeside with the Alps in the background.
 Next stop:  United Nations or League of Nations or Palais des Nations - it was great and we had to go through screening and then got a good tour and background.  It was formed in the 1920s to stop further wars after WWI but it was not able to stop WWII and it was shut down for a while and only the library was open.  Woodrow Wilson then helped to develop the United Nations and they are still trying to stop wars by negotiating.
 Plaza of United nations.  It's hard to see all the flags in the background.  The chair with the broken leg is huge and signifies opposition to land mines and cluster bombs that take limbs but maybe not lives.  Both of these places were very sobering experiences.
Off to dinner now - it will be a short walk and either a Lebanese restaurant or the local cafe!

No comments:

Post a Comment