Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

I seem to be recovered from jet lag!..or maybe I don't take the time to think about it.  My monthly Turkish cooking class was yesterday and it was 20 miles from my house and I briefly thought about skipping it but I just couldn't.  It was so fun and what a great surprise to see once again my good high school friend's daughter there with a friend.  There were 7 of us plus the 3 hosts and again it was wonderful food and conversation.  They talked about upcoming get-togethers one being a potluck (yippee) and another where "Noah's pudding" will be served.  So from my research I find this:
In anecdotal history, it is claimed that when Noah's Ark came to rest on Mount Ararat in northeastern Turkey, Noah's family celebrated with a special dish. Since their supplies were nearly exhausted, what was left (primarily grains, dried fruits and the like) was cooked together to form a pudding, what is now call Ashure. The Day of Ashure is an important day in the Muslim year, corresponding to the Mosaic Yom Kippur observed by Jews, and is observed by Muslims world over in honor of the prophet Moses. . Among Turkish and Balkan Sufis (especially Bektashi), the ashure pudding is prepared with special prayers for health, healing, safety, success and spiritual nourishment.
Traditionally, Ashure is made in large quantities to commemorate the ark's landing and is distributed to friends, relatives, neighbors, colleagues, classmates, etc. without regard to the recipient's religion or belief system as an offering of peace and love.
It is such a fun and nice group.  They also talked about the interfaith community meetings being held - a much needed thing in our country to promote better understanding of religions.


Why I am happy to be back home after a vacation:  Chris is Lucy's soccer coach - 4 year olds and they adore him and hang on him like ants to sugar:)
Amy the Hockey and Soccer Mom #1.  Alex is in the background "walking the line"
Lucy's last soccer game and I could not miss it.  The little 4 year olds have improved a whole lot since the first time I watched.
Back to real life this week and walking with friends, doing fall yardwork, going to a movie (subtitled in French)!  And I can hardly believe it but I picked up two travel guides from the library!!!!!  I think I have a travel disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment