Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Controversy of the Day!

Minor arguments between spouses - I called it a flock of geese, he says it's a gaggle - thanks to google I found that a flock is in the air and a gaggle is on the ground.  So I lost because in Red Lake Falls, MN the only thing I ever saw was Canada geese in flight.  Here they are on the ground being fattened I'm sure for foie gras - and I will not get into the controversy on that one!
Walk from the cark park to our apartment - I love plane trees and wish we had them in our yard.  They look like fake camouflage but are indeed real.  Click to enlarge any pic!
 Out in the car and low and behold Bitch Lydia has turned into  Lovely Lydia the Phone GPS.  First stop Gouffre de Padirac - underground caves 335 feet below ground and we got to take a flat bottom boat for 1.5 miles on an underground river.  Stalagmites arise from bottom and stalactites come down from the top.  My science teacher Roger Arvidson taught me that!    My travel notes said it was 9 miles deep but Ross says "Bosh" on that so I had to reconfigure.  It was deep, damp and interesting.  I might also mention we discovered our cheap rental car has a Nav system with voice commands - in French - and I only recognize left (gauche) and right (droit) but that worked too.  With the French Celeste and the American Lydia we did not even need to talk to each other.
 Lots of steps and this sign along the way.  I was ready with my teeny flashlight in my purse.
 Next stop Rocamadour, a city which has a "lift" or "ascenseur" or elevator to us to get from the high ground (where picture was taken), to middle ground to city center.
 In one of the chapels in the church at the top - there are 7 chapels one of which has a Black Madonna carved in wood.
 From the ramparts of the chateau and chapels in Rocamadour - another beautiful and sunny day - every day I look out and say "This is more beautiful than yesterday"!
 My hometown friend Julie St. Marie - I tagged her on facebook and if she owns this place I want a free room - beautiful location.
 I love the signs - so very clear and they always make you smile.  I heard on the BBC radio today that if you bring food or a beverage into the Colloseum in Rome or on the Spanish Steps you will be fined 500Euros - that's $650!!!!
 Our apartment in Sarlat, France is on the top floor and we have both those windows - back side looks onto the Cathedral and this side onto this quiet little square.
 Thanks to niece Molly's brother-in-law Aaron's recommendation we ate at this restaurant just steps from our apt tonight - see the specialty smoked hams hanging from the ceiling.  About 8 tables inside, a few outside, two meatcutter/chefs and one waitress - it was good food.
 The "cook" and the kitchen.  He walked up these stairs to get more meat.
 My dinnner - local melted cheese, boiled potatoes and jambon (ham).....delish.
 Dessert - nougat glace - or walnut ice cream - delish too.
 Outside of the restaurant - such a nice town this is.
Tomorrow is a stay in the town day - relax, shop, poke around.  It is market day and it is recommended not a good day for driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment