Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Music and History - Uffda!

I woke up this morning thinking:  "We need more often to pretend we are tourists in our own city".    I saw there was a last performance of the year of the Minnesota Boychoir 50th anniversary this afternoon in the rotunda of the State Capitol - FREE - you know me - off I go with Ross in tow!  It was wonderful and I sat next to the grandma of one - they are ages 7 to teens.  I loved the first song "People Who Make Music Together Cannot Be Enemies" - great thought, then the National Anthem, several other songs and ending with the Irish Blessing song:  "May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face; the rains fall soft upon your fields..............." .so I needed a picture of the 24k gilded monument on the Capitol.  It is 4 horses signifying earth, fire, wind, water installed in 1906.  It was a perfect weather day in Minnesota.  Looks like Rome only cleaner!
 
After the performance we walked out and boys will be boys - the boy singers are drinking pop and playing frisbee on the Capitol lawn.
I noticed the statue and then remembered it was just unveiled yesterday and Bill Clinton gave a speech which I saw on the news last night.  How timely that the very next day I could sit right next to Hubert H Humphrey, the Happy Warrior.  To be honest, I must admit he did not make me happy!!!
This is a copy of the "Whereas" declaration making tomorrow Minnesota Boychoir Day and signed by the Governor.
Alex being the fitness guy that he is did great on the adult size outdoor elliptical at the park nearby - on our bike ride once again last Friday.  He showed me how it worked.
Tomorrow I get a "Dee and Amy Day" - she invites me to shop and do lunch with her - always a good time.  The next followup MRI for her is this Wednesday with results the same day, thank goodness!  We always try to make it as fun as possible - we plan to have lunch at Manny's Tortas again unless something better pops into view.  Always praying, praying, praying......
Our good friends for dinner Friday night - Beth was one of two bridesmaids in my wedding and she tells me she has the dress she wore still in a "hope chest" - wow, almost made me cry, especially since it is 40 years ago this month.  Ever thrifty, I borrowed my wedding dress from a hometown friend so of course I have nothing to show but she has always reassured me I could borrow it at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment