Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Great Amy News!

We are blessed today!  Two and one-half years out from daughter-in-law Amy's brain tumor surgery and two years after completing radiation and chemo the doctor today said she has passed a big hurdle - a milepost - the two year mark which makes for better outcomes.  So as before I drive her to MRI as we color coordinate and wear "lucky" jewelry, have lunch at Manny's Tortas just a walk away from the hospital and Manny gets to have his picture taken with us.  Dr. T says "It is good"!  She can go out to 4 months between MRIs instead of 3.
Amy gave me a card before we left this morning and her real mom also got the card - love it!  We all need people like this in our lives.
 Another little gift - love the saying's end "we are a normal family" - Alex looked at it and pointed out who his dad might be, and others in this random ornament.
When we talk about color coordination we go the whole head-to-toe for luck - except mine on the left is not quite as lovely as I am a cheapskate and do-it-yourself person rather than springing for a pedicure.  A good friend of my said she could tell...nice, Judy.
Also this week we had a Dee/Amy day - lunch, shopping - quite an experience as she took me to the Forever21 store - I am 65.  But I did get the shirt I have on in the pic and like it.  Amy approved but I did manage to sneak in these funky socks without her knowledge.  She will be surprised when she sees them on my feet at a nice event.
Random news:
  • I was happy to read the breaking news from the American Podiatry Association saying we no longer need to feel guilty about wearing flip-flops - they are just fine if you get the right ones.
  • Also an article about "age classifications" - younger old=65 to 75 (Thank goodness), older old=75-85, oldest old=over 85.  I did NOT like it this year when I could no longer check the very last box on questionnairesages 59-64!!!!
  • Inviting a great group for dinner soon - more guinea pigs and in honor of my upcoming volunteering with a friend at a church dining hall at the Minnesota State Fair I will be hosting a Food-on-a-Stick dinner.  At the Hall we are "dishing up" the food for breakfast and need to arrive by 6:30am BUT we get free entry and free breakfast so we win.  More on this later.
  • I read a quote about entertaining:  Unless you are extremely confident in the kitchen, this is not the time to turn to new recipes for cooking.  I say that's a bunch of hogwash.

No comments:

Post a Comment