Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Happy Birthday to My Dad!

My Dad,  LaVern Gerald Schultz, would have turned 91 years old today.  He died at age 63 in 1985.  When I passed that mark 2 years ago I felt it was a milestone for me.  His sister died at 58, both from heart attacks.  This is their wedding photo and my mom was 21, my dad 25.  Her sister Madrienne and my dad's cousin Vernon were their attendants!  My mom got married in a black suit with gold flower type buttons - so sweet and so young.  It was just the end of WWII and they lived with my grandparents with my Dad receiving some education on the GI bill!  My mom would tell me of him waking in the night screaming with nightmares of Pearl Harbor.  He never said a word to us about that and I have read this is typical for many WWII vets.
Often on Valentine's Day he gave my Mom some really frilly lingerie, often red and sheer, that he ordered from Dayton's or some other big store.  He was WAYYYYY ahead of his time.  She also got a big box of fancy chocolates which of course we all got to share.
So on this day I just say Hi Mom and Dad and I hope you are dancing together!

1 comment:

  1. This makes me happy. I love stories about them! I remember Gram telling me about grandpa being in Pearl Harbor. I didn't know that until college, when I did an interview of Gram.

    ReplyDelete