I know all these people real well now and enjoy them - at 10 people it was a smaller group than some classes - maybe because it not a class. I brought our Turkish dinner menu and they had lots of questions about our trip. They were so happy to hear how much we enjoyed it - especially the people and the food!! Said "This is what we like to hear". Notice both the American and Turkish flags behind us.
We talked about many things. I told her about a driver we had in Kusadasi who was married with an 8 year old, salary about $300US per month, $75 rent, works often 12+ hour days 7 days a week. She said the only people who had regular 40 hour week jobs were the government employees!!!! Her company factory in Turkey pays about $400/month on average and this is a usual wage.
We talked about holidays - they have just had a religious holiday. They only have 2 holidays a year. Dec. 31 is a fun day for them with decorated trees and gift exchanges - "because we wanted to have fun like many other countries".
She showed me their office and classroom space. The children have wall posters in Turkish - for instance posters of animals, food and transportation things all with Turkish names. One very inviting room with couches, pillows and beautiful lamps all around the room is where the women meet once a week. I stepped in and Hulya told me I could not go in with shoes on - I should have known better and she used a very gentle voice to remind me. It is used as a prayer room.
The next classes will start in January on the 2nd Sunday of each month.
So yesterday was Hockey Grandma day to help Amy. Alex is a great little skater and as you can see Lucy is quite the "Hockey Sistah" - she chooses her own clothes and the addition of the leopard boots really completes the very colorful outfit. She was very proud of her "skinny jeans" but I must admit I had not really noticed them - can't imagine why.
Another busy week coming up but we are going to try to squeeze in the movie "J Edgar" on Wednesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment