Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Schultz Farm - then and now.



Schultz Farm aerial photo possibly in late 1940s or early 1950s - I was born in 1947. There were a few more buildings added (quonsets, hay barns, chicken coops). Well, I am getting deeply buried in genealogy. While brother Brian was here my cousin Denny and wife Sue visited and left me with a photo album and lots of wonderful family photos (his mother was my Dad's sister)..


What I now know about this farm (from the Red Lake County Atlas 1972) - the farm was homesteaded by Moses DesJardin in 1886 and bought by Herman Schultz December 12, 1900 and it was sold to my cousin Gary Weiss in 1972 (his mother was a Schultz and my Dad's first cousin). Herman was born in Germany in 1852, came over from the Port of Stettin which appears to be on the German-Polish border. In 1972 it was 320 acres.


About Herman August Schultz - born 1852 in Pommern (Pomerania area), Germany. He arrived in Canada in 1884, settled near Pembroke, Ontario and in 1885 he sold the farm in Canada. It was mostly timberland and he wanted to be a farmer. After arriving in Red Lake Falls in the fall he worked on the Red Lake River Dam in Crookston because he had experience with a broad ax (it cuts off the round edge of a log, leaving a timber usable for a dam).


Herman homesteaded 160 acres 10 miles northwest of Red Lake Falls and purchased more land over the years (at one time 740 acres). He built a log house on the farm site and in 1901 a new house was built (my great-uncle's house).


My mom and dad on their wedding day December 6, 1946 on the back porch of the house. Next, the dormer being added to the house in 1947 (this was my room)! A flooded farm - not sure yet what year. One of our horses pulling the big sled with my relatives.



Me and my brothers by the old well pump: Kent born in 1954, Brian born in 1960 and me in 1947. Picture taken last week with the house in the background. So tidy and much changed from how I knew it.


Our cars last week on the farm with the house in the background. The house seemed so big to me when I was a little girl!









The farm from the main road - definitely prairie but beautiful. We saw rows of sunflowers facing the sun. However, my heart lies in the city and I would much rather be in downtown Minneapolis or Boston than on the farm - sorry all you farmers or wannabees.:)


My box of history is getting larger and larger and soon I need to pack for San Diego to play with the grandkids. We are taking 6 year old Alex on a GrammyBapa trip to play with granddaughter Rooke and see Jenny and Shannon. I am ready for Sea World and Rooke's 4th birthday which is August 27 - my late mom's birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment