Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Dad's Birthday!

This is a "new-to-me" photo that I got from my cousin this week. My Dad is the cute little guy in the center with the big smile - probably in Tijuana while he was in basic training for the Navy in San Diego - I have a picture of me and some friends like that and daughter Jenny just told me she has the same one - think it's the same donkey?????
This was in the 1940s and today, August 16, my Dad would have turned 90 years old. It's hard to believe it has been over 27 years since he died of a heart attack.
What he left us with: A love of fun and laughter and family; a feeling that we could accomplish anything we set our minds to - never heard him say "I don't think you could do that" - sometimes "You shouldn't do that!!!":):)
What else do I know. I have his Honorable Discharge Papers; discharged on 5 March 1946, was a SC2c (Ship's Cook 2nd Class) - he taught my mom and all of us to cook. His total payment upon discharge was $223.05 plus mileage allowance of $15.85. In the blank requesting Job Preference: answer was "Undecided" - now I know why it took me so long to decide and I was never sure of what I wanted to be. My mom told me he never wanted to be a farmer but since he was the oldest and only son there was much pressure to continue the family farm, which he did. He served on several ships one of which ws the US Merchant Ship S. Hall Young which was bombed by aircraft at 0347 April 30, 1945 most likely in Pearl Harbor. I have a Thanksgiving Service Program dated Sunday, September 1, 1945 celebrating Victory over Japan in Nawiliwili Harbor, Kauai, Hawaii. The sermon was entitled "A Warless World" - hoping for it then and still hoping for the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment