Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Five Generations, Family and an "Alexism"

This may be recognizable from a post a couple years ago - my old one room school house, now still in use as a town hall. "Younger Elder Brother" Kent goofing off and sweeping out the front door. This also happens to be the place where my mom and dad met when she was 19 and a new teacher. He was on leave from the Navy and there to pick up his first cousin. He was cute and so was she and that's the story!
Wylie Immanuel Cemetery - cornfield in the background - we think half of it is Schultz relatives and it is so well tended. There was a church next to it called Immanuel Lutheran where my mom and dad were married, I was baptized and my Grandma Schultz had the last funeral there before merging with the "town" church. She said she would never go to that town church and she was a stubborn German. She died on my 11th birthday.

There are five generations of Schultz's in this cemetery. This is my brother Keith who died from leukemia in 1983 (Sara, Carrie and Molly's Dad)
The newest grave and the first time I saw the gravestone of my mom was just a couple weeks ago. It's funny to see it and the fresh dirt around it - it sits up higher than my Dad's as it still needs to settle in.

My Dad is right next to her. He died in 1985 and even though he had heart disease he also had a broken heart when his oldest son died just a little over a year earlier.

My grandparents - they lived on the farm with us; my Dad's parents. I'm trying to be the Grammy that she was to me - the best and I have a legacy to live up to. I would cross the road with my little suitcase that said "going to Grandma's house" pretty often.


My great-grandparents, parents of my grandpa Ferdinand Gustav Schultz: Herman and Wilhemina - I have found some ancestry records just calling her Mina.

The fifth generation - my great-great grandparents, Michel and Augusta Schultz; well-worn and he died in 1896

There you go - five generations of tombstones just as I promised. Out of the blue in California last week Alex asked me: "Grammy, did you see Grandma Hazel at that place where she is buried?" I replied that "No, I did not", his reply: "I know that but did you see that thing with her name on it" - yes, I did. Lucy and Alex still talk about Grandma Hazel.


No comments:

Post a Comment