Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

D-Day was June 6, 1944

Yesterday was a monumental day - I recall my Dad often talking about D-day even though he was in Pearl Harbor when that was bombed....he had the melted watch to prove it. He didn't talk much about the war but my mom said after they got married - She was 20 and he about 25 - he used to wake up thrashing and screaming. I have heard this of many WWII vets. Yesterday in the Star Tribune was an article about the oldest living member of the 1st Cavalry Division drafted in 1942. At age 100 he says: "The trick is to live well, take care of yourself and not worry about things"... we could all heed that advice. Yesterday also our travel friend stopped by with chocolates...I mentioned how my favorite all-time trip was ours to Normandy and Brittany in France in 2004 and she agreed. I decided to pull up a couple old pictures of some of the D-Day Beaches. In the picture below the craters from the bombs were left on purpose to remind people of what really happened in spite of the serenity that is now there. One of the beaches invaded is in the background. The names may be familiar to you: Omaha Beach, Gold Beach, Juno Beach and others.
This is the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach - 10,000 Americans are buried here. It is a beautiful location.
What we see now: A horse and cart riding along this beautiful beach. If you are so fortunate to have the opportunity this is a trip I highly recommend.
As for now - A salute once again to our soldiers and veterans - and those who are helping them in any way they can - including niece Sara keeping their eyes healthy at the Army base in Vilseck, Germany - thanks, Sara!!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment