Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2021

Poland->Slovakia-> Austria - 3 countries 3 days!

 Slow internet on the boat - stories on the way!!!  - back at it!
Arrived in Vienna and of course the dessert was very lovely on the boat as always.  When I call it "the boat" it is actually a small river cruise ship with room for 140 or so passengers and maybe 100 staff.  There were 64 on the tour and we were always divided into small groups with our own tour guides so that works great.
Linda and I call ourselves "sisters" now as we have taken so many trips together but we have never visited them in Pennsylvania nor have they come to Minnesota.  They travel as much or more than we do and love new adventures.
Little picture of our boat MS Joy from the street and it we did luck out with great weather with only one drizzly day!  Temps in the 50s which is great for long walks in the sun.
I am always amazed at all the beautiful buildings in Europe and Austria has great ones too!
We got to sit in on a rehearsal of the Vienna Orchestra which was very interesting as the conductor would hold up his arm and stop the group when they did not meet his expectations.
Another "unique" building that we passed and I'm not sure what the red painted on it meant.
What I learned - as everywhere else there are flea markets here and how this name got started was when used furniture was sold sometimes people got fleas from it - ewwwwww~
There is a place called the Panorama Lounge on the boat and we always had happy hour here - all drinks, all food included in the price of the tour.  This was quite an entertaining group playing


Interesting "street art" and a sign trying to get people to apply for "good jobs".  They have the same staffing problems as we do.
Super interesting name for a restaurant in Vienna.  Population of Vienna is 19 million and Paris has 2.2 million people.
Schonbrunn Palace tour.  Ross and I were here a few years ago and did the tour on our own of course.  It was the home of 23 year old Emporer Franz Joseph married to his 16 year old wife "Sisi" real name Elisabeth who suffered from mental illness, depression over her son's suicide and eventually murdered by an Italian anarchist.

Gotta love mimes who are all over in Europe and real people of course looking for "donations"
This is a very interesting mural and there were a lot all over the place.  It always amazes me at how this is done on these tall buildings!
And this is the Vienna River and not the Danube but they do meet.
Beautiful Cathedral and a beautiful sunset background that can't be beat!


We did see several swans on our walk and there were a few guys fishing and accidentally hooked a swan who was flapping wings like crazy to get away so Linda and I stopped to watch and the guy managed to pull it in with help from buddies, use a net and get the hook out and all the swan did was then lick the spot on the wing and I'm guessing it hurt a bit.
I have never had such beautiful desserts in my life - or maybe I just don't remember them all as I indeed am a dessert and sugar lover - oh and a retired registered dietitian.  But..... our motto is "Everything in moderation"!


And here's the crazy 6 and we always got the round booth in the corner of the Panorama lounge - every night!!!!  And we always managed to snag a table for 6 in the dining room.
Beautiful bus ride from Vienna through Slovakia and then Hungary to board the boat

Lunch in Donovaly Slovakia at a brewery and the lunch was good and I could get wine as I don't like beer.
Pretty darn good schnitzel!
And Ross had BBQ ribs - also good and lots of food!

Our buddies took this picture after they pushed their beers in front of us so we look like ill behaved oldsters!
Another beautiful centuries old castle/fortress on the road through Slovakia into Hungary.

And yes indeed another church and it seems unusual to see such a modern church.

No comments:

Post a Comment