Pages

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Chemo, May Day, Good Friends!

2 May 2020 - almost 5 months since surgery for ovarian cancer!  Today my long time friend Beth and hubby Jim surprised me with a front door talk from the street and front porch dropoff:) - Coronavirus times for sure!
It was a perfect gift for me completing the 6 rounds of chemo and celebrating with what else but Lorna Doone cookies and Bit-O-Honey candy - and flowers!  I know I repeat this all the time but what would we do without good friends!
 Chemo #6 of 6 - 2 days ago now and this is the nurse who sets the infusion pumps and hangs the bags.  It really looks like a hazmat suit!!!  And the lower pump ended up being called "Beeping Buddy" because it would often start beeping for no particular reason and no - it was not my fault!!!
 Bummer but they were out of Lorna Doones again but I did get a cute take-home Kleenex pack with sunshine messages in different languages.  People have asked me because of chemo completion did I get a certificate or get to ring a bell or get clapped and cheered - no.  At this point my followup CT scan is scheduled for May 22, doctor followup call May 26 and it will show if the chemo has worked.  It's hard for me even to think about it!

 I have had the port installed in my chest since before the first chemo on December 26 and it will stay in there under the skin for maybe a year as I will continue to have blood draws.  I also will have to have it flushed every month or 2 to make sure it doesn't clog!
 So I couldn't really complain as the nurse brought me 2 packs of Oreos from the snack room.
 And "winner winner chicken dinner" I say because for the first time I finished a Brain Games puzzle in 2 hours and got 100% - so I made the honor roll.
 1 May 1998 - May Day - Chris and Amy got engaged in Grand Forks ND where they were both in college.  Ross and I were in Italy and of course without cell phones but we had a phone card to use in pay phones and were trying to call Chris to see if it happened.  In my journal it says we had a lot of trouble with the "dumb card"!!!  Finally did and w were very excited to welcome a daughter-in-law into our family in 1999.
 And I kind of learned how to tie a pretty scarf around my head as the knit chemo beanies are getting pretty warm in the 70 degree weather.
So thanks again to all for good wishes, prayers, good vibes, calls, texts, emails and all to keep me in a good mood through all of this.  Of course I have to work on not getting stressed out too much waiting for the results of the CT scan to see if the chemo worked - prayers and fingers crossed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment