Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Day 2 - Sunday in Bilbao - 5 May 2019

If I have repeat photos excuse me please!!!  I love my Christmas gift from Ross - the collapsible coffee thing as I NEED my morning coffee!!!
 So 1st stop 1st night nearby supermercado (grocery store) and I got this and knew it was neither cotton or fabric and this morning thought the mermalada was orange marmalade - NOT - it was exactly what I wanted - peach Jam!!!  woohoo!
 Is this our daughter Jenny performing on the patio of the Guggenheim - probably not but pretty cool anyway.
 This is a very religious city and maybe all of Spain is the same.  There are tall elegant statues of Jesus all over the place.  Praise the Lord!!!
 Typical laundry day - click to enlarge and you will see the United States of America flag scarf on the right - love the USA!!!
 First stop today - Catedral (spelled correctly in Spanish) Santiago and it was awesome and packed which is lovely to see.  I'm guessing locals as they spoke all Spanish and knew exactly what to do and we tried even though we were in the back standing room only!
 And Mr. Ross staring once again at elegant organ pipes and the music was good!  When the greeting during the service time came a Spanish lady next to me shook my hand and felt my hand was "chilly" and she put both her hands on mine to warm them up.  Almost brought tears to my eyes and there is more good in the world than bad for sure.
 Beautiful alcoves in the Cathedral.
 And my friend tells me yes this must be Saint Francis of Assisi and yes I have been to Assisi and I love the story of the rich guy Francis who abandoned his family wealth to help people and then was sainted.
 Cleanest city we have ever visited - no pee smells on the streets and the automatic sweeper guys are cleaning up all the time.  Please visit Balboa!
 Lunch - what can I say - double scoop gelati and my favorite travel lunch.
 I am a photo nut and just couldn't miss this one - is Ross Crazy or not?????
 I looked to the left and it was awesome and since the steps are covered with green growing stuff I'm assuming noone ever goes through that gate and I want to know what is behind it!
 Yes, the famous Guggenheim in the background and the famous Jones couple in the front.  Another beautiful blue sky day and about 60 degrees - warmer temps starting tomorrow but I kind of like cool as we walked 5.7 miles today.
 Our apartment is just across this bridge.
 And we took the funicular so we have crossed a lot of things off our Bilbao list on our own and the next 3 days we have a hired tour guide to take us out and about the country and other cities on the coast.  Three long days coming up but we are acclimated and it's amazing at ages 72 and 76 we can do this - lucky ducky!

 View from the hill at the top of the funicular.  Our apartment is right near the very tall office building and the Guggenheim is just to the left.
 Norte - I figured out from the circle this was facing north so I knew which way the sun would set.
 We did a hop on/off bus tour today as we do often and I always know which button to push to hear the audio in English.
 And I'm not throwing trash out the window from the top deck nor will I hold a sign or flag - XXXX means NO!
 Dinner tonight and I ordered a "small bottle - 500 cl" of wine and it's "about" 2 glasses and was very good and worked fine as I can do this after taking the metro home from the restaurant.
 I had duck but had salad instead of the "signature black pudding in natural tripe" - blood and guts is what I call it:)

 Our waiter was so awesome and spoke English, French and Spanish so we were good to go.
 Boobs - apparently this was quite the excitement when these statues were done many many years ago as it was not appropriate to show nude parts of women - men parts were fine apparently.
So 9pm in Bilbao - pickup time tomorrow 9am for a full day - Nitey nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment