Pages

Friday, May 10, 2019

Bilbao to Pamplona, Spain - 10 May 2019

We had our fantastic driver once again "Mr. Enrique" but his first name is really Enrique and what a great guy he is.  This is the city hall in the center of Pamplona Spain and we lucked out as our first moments in Pamplona there was a choir and director singing from the deck of this beautiful building.
Our Pamplona apartment and the young couple owners were on vacation so his in-laws let us in and not a word of English but I am good with my hands and they were so smiley and sweet and dressed to the nines to greet us.  When we couldn't understand the WIFI password they called the son and we got it going in a minute.
Everything we needed in the kitchen as I never cook bit meals on vacation - hey it's vacation!  There were lot of extra supplies like salt, sugar, coffee and other stuff in the cupboards.
The hallyway from the living room toward the bedroom and I must say we have never had bad luck of any kind renting apartments in many countries.
And there was even a deck of cards but it would have taken a little brain work to figure out how to play solitaire.  After I got home I wished I would have bought a deck to bring home - next time!!!
The sign with the blue and yellow is the path of the Camino de Santiago  pilgrimage walk since the middle ages which in total is about 500 miles and we saw these signs, blue and yellow arrows painted on signposts, brass markers in the sidewalks and people with backpacks and walking sticks with this sign hanging on their backpack.  In English it is called The Way of Saint James and it leads to the shrine of Saint James in the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia in northwest Spain.  The path goes all over Europe.
We of course did visit the Cathedral of Pamplona and it was beautiful - maybe the most beautiful I have yet seen.
I have never in my life seen so much gold in a Cathedral and as Ross is the Cathedral addict I have probably been to a hundred or so.

The sepulchre or crypt of Charles III and his wife and it was quite impressive too.
I kind of like plain stuff and I love cemeteries!
Very interesting museum in this cathedral and the American Revolution had it's own stone and July 4, 1776 is our Independence Day as we all know.
Pamplona is all about Ernest Hemingway and his book "The Sun Also Rises" made Pamplona famous and of course I read it before we left home.  This is the restaurant where he would meet, drink and visit with friends.
Front door of the restaurant and it's really a tourist spot which usually don't have the best food so we didn't even bother to eat there as it looked like all tourists.  We ate mostly at restaurant I had researched, local and small and most of the menus and staff were in Spanish.
View from our apartment window and it almost doesn't look real and it was pretty cool.
So of course Pamplona is known for the Running of the Bulls and this is a famous statue of the guys holding newspapers with the bulls after them.
Nice peaceful dinner out and waiting for a little appetizer or as they say "starter".
Yum - hot molten chocolate with homemade ice cream on the side to end the night - mmmmmm gooood!!!
Um - our great waiter Jorge brought us a free appetizer from the chef and it was small local peppers and blood sausage - yup - I grew up on a farm and we didn't waste a thing so we had blood sausage whenever there was a lot of animal blood!

No comments:

Post a Comment