After about 36+ hours of being awake and many hours and airport layovers yesterday we are home! Laundry done, suitcase ready to hit the road again, and slept 10 hours last night which is remarkable for me!
Last stop Auckland (pronounced Oakland) New Zealand, and Ross and I went for a walk around the harbour and city and it was another beautiful day.
This is the Sky Tower which was near our hotel and you could pay to get to the top and even dine there but by the end of 3 weeks we were done with towers, dining out and all the tourist stuff. So we had pop and corn chips for lunch to use up our leftover New Zealand coins.The harbour (not a typo) was full of beautiful yachts and very very few small fishing boats until you got near the fish market and then maybe 2 small ones and several big netfishing boats. This one was for sale and I would love to know how much it cost...not because I want it but just out of curiosity.
Flights: We got up at 3am for pickup at 4am (driver's name was Chris Jones which was even funny at that time of the day), 7am flight to Brisbane, Australia (air view below), 4 hour layover, 13+ hour flight from there to Los Angeles, 4 hour layover, 3.5 hour flight to Minneapolis. Since the Paris bombings had just happened the security deal was horrible at LAX. An agent in the security area hollered at me for stepping one toe over the yellow mark in the wait line. To me it would have been a time to be nice and sympathetic instead of incredibly rude but not at this airport. It was an abrupt welcome back to my home country and not nice. Since everything was a mess and we had to get our luggage and recheck (which was not working) we had to walk from Terminal 2 to Terminal 5 to check it there. Have never seen such a mess!
So this is my view of the Eiffel tower in 2008 from the Montparnasse tower which has a viewing deck. I have quite a few pictures of the Eiffel and I remember the first time the lights came on one night when we were walking to dinner. I was amazed! Now I am sad that the lights have to be out to remember what happened and honor the victims.
I of course still have the stories and the "signs" I saw in New Zealand which always strike me as funny in any country. Hope to be back on the correct track by tomorrow - not bad for my age!



No comments:
Post a Comment