Ross says we must have walked 10 miles yesterday. First the metro which is wonderful, clean and efficient and then on to Parcul Herastrau (park) where we were supposed to find the Village Museum and did after walking all the way around the whole park of 187 hectares (462 acres).
Notice the statue is Mark Twayn:) That is probably the Romanian spelling of his last name. I am impressed by all the bookstores and most often the window display is thick books and many classics not a lot of the junk we have in the USA.
The Village Museum or Muzeu national Al Satului Dimitrie Gusti is 15 hectares with 60 original houses on display. I'm not sure why but the doors to most houses were not open and they were supposed to be open each day but Monday...hmmm.... We thought Ross might like to ship these little cars home for the grandchildren to ride in our driveway.An old fashioned ferris wheel - there were also a lot of wells, wooden windmills, tree forts and flowers. The one thing we could learn from is that the grass and greens do not have to be perfect, what we would call weeds are natural growth here and I doubt there are pesticides used. I liked it! At home the neighbors would probably call 911 about the unkempt yard.
A working water fountain to drink from or fill your bottle. It is tied up with insulation as the winters do get cold here.
One of the houses.
The inside of the Orthodox church. Beautiful and very small. I think the table may be set for the monks or the nuns or the priests.
Another yard with path leading up to it and I'm not sure what the little grass hut is.
The Roman Athneum (Ateneul Roman) - one of the most beautiful buildings in the city and was inaugurated in 1888 built entirely of people donations to "Give a penny for the Atheneum" (Dati un leu pentru Ateneu).
It has seating for 800, world renowned acoustics and is the seat of the Romanian Philharmonic. We weren't here the right days for a concert but they are held at least twice a week.
Another inside view of the lobby.
We took the metro to the Romanian Opera House but we couldn't visit the inside - only when there are performances. It is also huge and the outside is undergoing renovation and restoration. They have several operas going at a time and this is the May schedule.
So as not to be so serious I tend to get the giggles at the most inopportune moments and this was in a ladies bathroom and I think it is an ad for a media or advertising agency called Oops:) I wonder if they had the same picture in the men's room. The rest of the day I was humming the tune "all I am saying is give peace a chance....." by John Lennon.
No comments:
Post a Comment