This is one of my favorite pictures of me and my mom and we were both very happy with our matching shirts!
Mother's Day was celebrated May 5 or 6 days ago in Hungary but we can celebrate anyway so we are headed to a much reviewed Hungarian bistro. This morning we went to an Evangelical Lutheran Church for the English service. 6 people in the pews including the two of us and of course everyone had to visit with us and invited us to coffee and cake in the library. It was a joyful sermon and we even had Communion!!!! The first lady who spoke to us lived here but was from Texas! The young couple - she from here and he from Argentina - and we told him we would be there in the fall and just may see him!On the way back to the metro (which is fantastic) I saw this and assumed it meant "Don't honk" but thanks to internet translation it means "Please Ring". At the metro stations there are signs that pop up on screens that say "Dear Passengers - Please be Careful". This is a lovely country.
I love/hate social media and Facebook is lovely - well most of the time! I had a very sweet email from son Chris this morning asking when we could Skype so we did and it was so great to see his, Alex and Lucy's faces and chat and carry the laptop around our apartment so they could see where we are "living".
I still have many pictures and stories to catch up on. There has been some brutal history for the Hungarian people - as with the rest of eastern Europe. More later on today's visit to the House of Terror - Terror Haza - it was the party headquarters of the Hungarian Nazis from 1945-1956. We heard video stories, we saw displays - I hope it never happens again but I fear it is in other countries.
We have seen this Liberty Statue atop Gellert Hill a few times. It commemorates those who have sacrificed their lives for the independence, freedom and prosperity of Hungary.
So happy hour time in Budapest and then onto the metro to find our restaurant. The preacher today told me he had his 25 year high school class reunion yesterday and since last year the first person has died. I told him my 50 year reunion was in July. He was from a class of 40 and I am from a class of 43 people. As I repeat often - THE WORLD IS SMALL!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment