Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

News of the World!

I am a newspaper fanatic so today's front page headline in the China Daily caught my attention.  Click to enlarge - China is the US' biggest creditor and we are the country with the biggest amount of Chinese holding on our own land.  We need to stop spending and borrowing from China and start saving or they will own us - enough politics from me for today!
 Interesting visit to the Shanghai Urban Planning Museum.  Since it was the site of the 2010 World Expo it had wonderful museums and lots of new things to handle the biggest ever crowd for an Expo.  This is just part of the scale model of the city at a 1 to 500 size.
 We see these things on steps everywhere and I'm not sure what it means or exactly where they go - I think it involves buying stuff:)
 I think this would be a great new food on a stick item for the Minnesota State Fair - hmmm - we opted for an Italian restaurant for lunch and I a great Pizza Margherita - my favorite - instead of "Bird on a Stick".
 We visited a silk museum and yes, we did buy something - not clothing!  I like the last line "do not eat dead things".  Our local guide Sara said "Chinese eat everything with 4 legs except the table and everything that flies except an airplane"!!!
 Bathroom in the Italian restaurant at noon had a lovely butterfly collection covering every space.
 All the talk has been of yet another typhoon and the air quality index in Beijing this week which required shutting down the freeways for a few hours until it cleared some.
 View out our Shanghai hotel room about an hour ago - the walking and all the little riverwalk cafes are underwater but this appears to be a common occurence since we are in typhoon season and nobody seems concerned.
So this is the end of Shanghai except for dinner tonight which is a French restaurant.  I generally don't like tours but I must say I would not have done China any other way.  The airline of tomorrow from Shanghai to Hong Kong is the last of 5 and I can't even recall it's name.  Weather in Hong Kong predicted hot and humid...did I already say that?

No comments:

Post a Comment