So yesterday in Minneapolis we had the biggest March snowfall in 5 years - about 10 inches or so. This is our backyard. As the driveway filled I paced and watched the driveway fill and was glad I had arranged a shuttle van to take us to the airport this morning. I had large plastic bags ready to put on my feet in case I had to trudge through the unplowed driveway.
My best friend Kelly the Plow guy had it all cleaned up by 8pm, we got up at 4am for the 5am shuttle.And yup - before 10am we were in Phoenix where it is now 81 degrees and sunny. We had early lunch at the Barrio Cafe which according to the many reviews "is in an untrendy part of town" - fine with me. At 40 the chef Silvia quit her banking job in Miami, cashed out 401K, took her '68 VW and for a year learning how the people in little Mexican villages cooked. The cafe has twice nominated for James Beard awards and also for Best Mexican in Phoenix. I heard a patron ask the waiter if they had chips and salsa or tacos - NO - it is authentic Mexican from Central Mexico. He said fajita was something used as a whip in the native language (I did not check that for accuracy). I had Enchilada Sulzas -rolled chicken tortilla, tomatillo cream sauce and oaxaca cheese - yummy!!! She calls herself the "Best Badass Chef" and googling I find she also has very colorful tattoos covering her right leg.
Can't wait to see what comes next!
No comments:
Post a Comment