Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Time Does Fly!



Update on Stephen from Florida whom I have never met. He was found to have a spine tumor now and was to have radiation in Philadelphia but decided to just get on the plane to Germany for the hyperthermia treatment - not available here...leaving today. Lots of my friends and family are praying for this little family we know only from a very random encounter.


Kid funny: Monday Alex went to my haircut appointment with me (school holiday) and on the way home noticed a guy walking the side of the freeway with a backpack. I told him he was hitchhiking and that it was illegal. He says: "But if you are HITCHHOGGING there and just waiting for your mom to pick you up it is OK"!


I have been faithful to my walking program with my friends. Nearly 4 miles at a time walking at Mall of America and no stops to shop! I know that it will pay off for the "moderately strenuous" rated trip to Israel and Jordan soon.


We had a great weekend last weekend with my sister-in-law Kathy from Iowa and niece Carrie from Portland. I love my nieces and so glad to have them in my life. At age two Carrie was quite a spitfire and antagonized Ross by getting face to face with him and calling him "Dummyass" - needless to say he was not amused - Carrie on left, niece Sara on right.


This weekend we are having some best friends Beth and Jim for dinner. I'm making a German dinner (sort of) in honor of their five years in Germany. They are also very good guinea pigs for my testing of recipes. Going to make spaetzle (maybe:)). They don't know it yet!


Below is a picture from October 1971 (Beth and I in the front row) taken in Luxembourg on our "Europe on $5 a Day" 3 week tour. The people behind us were Americans (so dressed up to fly) who seemed to be a little concerned that we arrived there with no plans and no place to stay - not to worry! I think the fare round-trip on Icelandic was under $200 and we had cognac and cod for breakfast. Beth looks like a movie star and I look more like a vagrant.


Again the movie star and the vagrant! I was getting married to Ross less than a year after this and this was my "last stand" - I spent all I had but not to worry:). Taken in Amsterdam.




10 months later - August 1972 - Beth on left! I look a bit less like a vagrant but since I spent all my money on the Europe trip a friend loaned me her wedding dress and I found someone to make a veil for $25. See ......things do work out.


Since it's rear-end freezing cold here I rented a movie from the library - 1940 Charlie Chaplin's first "pure talkie", The Great Dictator. A spoof on Hitler before WWII and I can bet that Adolf was not amused. And also to get me through the cold I bought a 5# bag of peanut M&Ms at Costco. Gotta keep walking faster and farther!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment