Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Birthdays and Stuff!

My father-in-law would have turned 104 today. He lived to be 100 and 1/2. This is a photo when he was 99 and Alex was nearly 2 taken in Oklahoma - you can see the love on both their faces. I have the photo hanging in our front hall and it gets a lot of attention! How lucky they both were.

My baby brother Brian turned 52 yesterday - this is the day he was discharged from the Navy after 20 years - he was probably about 38 or so. He's so darn cute and we love to visit him in California! Looking forward to April and Seal Beach.

My dad and my 3 younger brothers probably about 1962. My Dad looks like he's wondering "what the hell happened?" Keith on the left top was almost 2 years younger than me and my best buddy. He died at 34 of leukemia leaving a young wife and 3 little girls whom I mention often (Sara, Carrie and Molly) - love them. Bottom row baby brother Brian - so cute and he was 4 when I left home. I was like "Little Mom" to him as we lived on a farm with lots to do and an on-site Grandpa to watch over - plus cows, chickens etc. I have the lovely 1960s cateye glasses, the look of boredom with family photos and the perfectly groomed look - my brothers nearly drove me nuts at times. It's still so fun to laugh with them.

So a couple nights ago we had some old friends for dinner - he was Ross' roommate before we were married and in our wedding. Ross babysat for their oldest daughter who is now in her 40s with 4 children! As I am so relaxed with entertaining I took some nice Tomato Basil Chicken out of the freezer and on the day of the dinner went to put it in a pan - hmmm turned out to be the right orangey red color but it was squash!!!! When will I learn to mark things in the freezer??? My old workmates used to laugh as I would sometimes be amazed with my bag lunch when it smelled like fish when I thought it was chicken.

It was 46 degrees here today and I had a great walk around Lake Harriet with friend "Mardie" - I might be the only one who calls her that - then off to a black and white silent movie called "The Artist" - loved it. Who else but 2 dietitians would eat healthy muffins, bottled water and sneak a couple snack size Snickers!

In googling our upcoming trip I today discovered a blog from a couple who went on the very same tour about a year ago - can't wait to dig into it and it has lots of pictures.

My early morning wakeup phone call 7am today (I am an early riser) - Lucy at the other end saying loudly: Grammy I am on the plane and I am going to Disney World. I'm so excited".

Can't wait to hear the tales of the long weekend in Florida - Lucy the talking head will be good to go for months!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment