Saturday I decided (with Ross' "encouragement") that it was time to tackle the 3 boxes of my mom's stuff in the corner of our family room since she died in April. She was so very well-organized that we all had packets labeled "Brian's pictures", "DeVerle's pictures" etc. I found this small envelope labeled "LaVern - Navy stuff" - My dad was in Pearl Harbor when it was bombed - he was a cook on a Navy ship. I found this MailGram (?telegram) that none of us knew of - click to enlarge then click again to zoom in. I knew that he was on a ship that had been bombed and his watch was partially melted and he lost some good friends! I also found a letter from Harry Truman thanking him (and I'm sure thousands of others) for his service. I always thought my Dad was very brave!
So - you ask once again - what's next??? The Summerfest 2010 in Red Lake Falls, Minnesota, a Star City population under 1500. For the first time in my life I need to stay in a motel - the only motel in Red Lake Falls where all my friends are also staying - the Chateau RLF - formerly called Chateau Bottineau - after Pierre Bottineau who discovered the area. Not the Ritz but what the heck -I was on a waiting list but one of my "RLF Girls" Judy told me her daughter was about to cancel so I called and told them to put me in her room - who cares about a waiting list in a small town. As in a big city - it's who you know!
Sunday morning our phone rings at 8am - he says it is "Rolf" from Germany - first thought - oh heavenly days, niece Sara is in trouble! Not.....turns out Ross is buying a new car and picking it up in Munich in September - he will tell you about the stinkeye he got from me:) Rolf was very sweet and was calling to see if he could pick us up at the train station and maybe even take us on a castle tour and lunch....hmmmm - one never knows what life will bring. So I had to change a couple reservations and my thoughts!...in that order.
Amy: Her friend Erika met us at Sister Kenny today to take Amy to lunch and then dropped her off at Second Home (our house). Erika is an OT who lives in Charleston, SC and saw Amy last in March - she said to us "Do you understand this is a miracle?" - I showed her the hair standing up on my arms and yes, indeed, I believed her. At that time she had to tell Amy to put her left arm on the table and not let it hang and when it fell down Amy did not recognize that! Now it is Amy who can tote two shopping bags wearing flipflops. Indeed a miracle has happened.
Quote: I was reading a newsletter today and happened on a story of our Egypt tour director, Jan who is in his 50s and recently watched his mother go up in a hot air ballloon is East Africa saying: "Sometimes the trip of a lifetime is less about the places you go and more about those who join you for the journey"........hello Rolf!


Great post...that is so neat that you found those two notes. Amazing. I still think it's crazy that he was there.
ReplyDelete