Guten Tag!! It is German here and we just returned from an Italian restaurant and had to order pasta in German - did good! About 1 minute away from our apartment - all German speaking peoples. Today we took the catamaran called Twin City Liner (appropriately don't you think?) to Bratislava, Republic of Slovakia - said we needed a passport but noone ever asked. We left via the Danube Canal onto the Danube River and onto Bratislava where the Danube and Moravia rivers meet....much like the Minnesota and Mississipi! it was a beautiful day to be on the river
Emailed this to my brothers and son who like to fish - these are called "fishing lodges" - they look a bit like the cabins on Minnesota lakes don't they - I'm thinking our next Schultz family reunion could be right here on the Danube near where our family roots started...eastern Germany.This is "downtown" Bratislava which used to be Hungary but was taken over and destroyed by so many people (German, Nazis, Napoleon, Russia - you name it they had it). I'm learning so much about how lucky we are to say we are from somewhere and that it has never changed or been bombed - it is the USA and a state that we can name and yes it is still the same state.
Thought this toilet seat in our apartment is quite interesting! I don't think I have a fascination with toilets but I'm certainly drawn to them especially if they are unusual. Good news - had 3 meals here now - recognized the food - know a little German - may be much easier than Polish or Czech but everywhere we have been has it merits and a learning experience. Everyone we have run into has been lovely and helpful in spite of the language barrier. Long story about arriving at Wein Meidling (the train station) - cash card would not work as it needed a "chip" - no Euros as so far we have only used Czech Korunas or Polish Zolatys - finally went to a change place and changed our entire stah of $500 USD into Euros - it worked and then as we left the train station and arrived downtown at a "normal" bank our ATM card worked great! - another learning experience - bring Euros!

Beautiful waterways. Looks like home! I'm following your every move, can you feel it. Sunshine finally peeked through this morning after days and days of gentle rain.
ReplyDeleteKeep sharing your adventures. I love reading about them.