Carpet installers here to do most areas of carpet in our home. Ross is delegated to stay home with the "guys" - no couch, no bed, junk and furniture filling all uncarpeted spaces, floor to ceiling in the guest bathroom and about as bad in ours!!! Picture is old white carpet - now it is light charcoal - love it! So what did I do. Left about 8am, returned about 5pm.
Today was a big day for Amy - a field trip. Before this we had a heavy weight doll (filled with sand) and she attempted to change the diaper. After breaking both arms, the legs and the neck the diaper was on - we were just speculating on these injuries. Then the "I've fallen and I can't get up practice" - now I know what to do. Then the newly delivered custom wheelchair to practice with, collapse and imagine in the back of my car. It will work. I should also mention that last night my car was too far back in the garage and as I opened the door to leave early this morning I heard a squeaky sound - it was the garage door scraping on the wheel cover on my hatch door - just plastic so I shrugged my shoulder that I am now thankful to be able to shrug.
Amy's mom arrived after lunch to join us on the "short bus" - Amy's call on this one - bound for the Minneapolis Institute of Arts with 6 people in wheelchairs, a nurse, two PT persons, an OT person, the busdriver Norm and guests including me and Kathy. This is a learning experience for all of us.
Imagine going to the cafe where one young guy is tending shop, ordering a Chai Tea and a sugar cookie, no use of left arm, cane in right hand, out of wheelchair - where do you put the cookie and tea, where have you kept your money and how do you get the treats to the table????? Learning experience, right? Try it.
Amy had a good question since her mind is on shopping of course - she is with Chris, they are at Mall of America and she has to use bathroom but is not yet allowed to use on her own - where do they go: men's? women's? Answer is find a family or unisex.
As we can find humor in any situation I noticed the bust of the porcelain lady and Amy was game to try the Kodak moment. Later we showed our favorite PT Stephanie the picture and she said "At least you didn't try to put your hand on her .... - you know what. These girls have a great sense of humor and we will all miss them.
Chris soon arrived to pick up Amy for the test night at home and I cannot get this thought out of my mind - the fear, the love, the longing for what they have and do not have right now. Two more days (one more night) and she will be home with I am sure many new obstacles which will be met with fight and perseverance.
You go Amy!

Thanks for the pics Dee! I think the one of you two by the statue is hilarious. You girls are so funny. I hope Amy's night goes well tonight! Thinking of you all!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update, tante. I agree the bust pic is the best!
ReplyDelete