Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2022

Day 2 Dublin - 14 May 2022

14 May 2022 - Dublin - Saturday - and I just realized yesterday was Friday the 13th but it was a lucky day for us!!!  On our own until 6pm tonight when the tour starts with a welcome reception.  We are still doing excellent on our own and I do miss those days but also like the tour people "taking care of stuff".
Beautiful flowers on the streets today and wish I could bring them home!
At 2:30pm we had close to 10,000 steps on my phone pedometer - pretty darn good.👍  And I find that 84% of the Irish population has been vaccinated against COVID with 2 shots at least.
Not far from our Fitzwilliam Hotel we walked to the famous Trinity College established 1592 yes 430 years ago!
Signs everywhere are both Gaelic and Irish/English.  I need a Gaelic course in pronunciation.
,
The famous Campanile Tower on the Trinity College camps which has educated many poets,authors, playwrights, politicians, mathematicians and all kinds  including Oscar Wilde and Isaac Newton.  Tuition is approximately $530 per credit hour and half if you are an old age senior person.
The actual Book of Kells is in one room here but no photos allowed as it's from the 9th century and actually made from calf skins - that would take a LOT of work!  It was very interesting to read about it and is the Four Gospels of the Christian New Testament in Latin.


The Old Library in the Book of Kells building was done in the 1700s and has 200,000 books from floor to ceiling with lots of wooden ladders to climb to the top shelf.
Yes, those are all books!
Many busts in front of each stack and this is Socrates died in 399 BCE and ancient Greek philosopher.
This was one display case that had chapter pages from recent little kid's projects.

Good sign to look up to!

We did not go into the wax museum but couldn't help taking a picture with the wax guy holding a gun.  At first I thought he was a real security guard and I was thinking it seems a little over the top for protection!!!  Who would steal wax figures?
Another beautiful weather day and no junk floating on the River Liffey.  Actually not much trash on the streets anywhere - very clean and the Irish people are wonderful, helpful and love to talk to us and everyone else.
This was not far from the famous Temple Bar so if you had a little too much Guinness or Irish whiskey you could probably get here for the broken arm or leg!


Another luck of the draw - we walked into the crowded place, a couple people got up from 2 of the few bar stools and there we sat.  Ross had Guinness and I had a very excellent Orchard Thieves cider.  I'm hoping we can get it at home as it's not strong and nice and tasty.
This is one VERY SMALL section of the stock of liquor on the shelves.  I think I need to try Irish coffee sometime - strong coffee, Irish whiskey, brown sugar and topped off with whipped cream or plain cream.  How can that get any better?
And of course there was another couple nearby who asked if we wanted a picture together!
Lots of young guys all over standing outside holding their pints of beer.  It's a wonderful place to visit and we have only been here a little over 24 hours!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment