Another relaxing free day in Cape Town with Greg and Linda and the tour officially starts tonight with cocktail hour and dinner and it looks like there are 32 in the group and the 4 of us are good at "screening"😀
We did about a 3 hour walk today and first stop the South African Museum which was huge, well- done and $2 to get in for "pensioners".
1910 - and yes apparently there was big game hunting for hundreds and probably thousands of years in Africa.
"Pretty old" I'd say and I didn't expect everything to be in English everywhere but I don't really know what I expected. I guess because of the British holdings for a long time?One of our ancestors I am sure and the legs and arms are very long and it's getting to be upright!
Nice restrooms and this one was in the women's but empty:) - Linda and I wanted to check the men's room next door but we thought it was maybe not a good idea as we do NOT want to break a law and go to Breakwater Prison in Cape Town!!!
I just love this guy's name and I'm thinking I could add it to mine or just change my maiden name to Smuts instead of Schultz. I think he was an important fellow.
WWI Memorial in the Company's Gardens where we walked. At one spot we were going to go into a fenced garden area but were warned by a local woman who pointed at 2 guys and shook here head and pointed us another way. There are fluorescent green vested security guards all over the place and when we noticed the 2 guys then following us a bit we decided to sit on a bench and wait for a safer looking group and a group of 6 both male and female vested ones walked by and we joined them and heard stories and they said we did the right thing and how to be careful.
St. George's Cathedral. Lots of things are named after British as in the Victoria and Albert Waterfront and our Mount Nelson Hotel named after Lord Nelson.
I'm pretty sure I have visited a couple hundred cathedrals with Ross - maybe even more.
Since the Dutch were also "owners" here we saw many Dutch type buildings.
And this was awesomely colorful:
We thought this looked like the French Quarter in New Orleans. The mix of colors, styles and themes here in amazing.
I like the "old age home" sign and I do not see a problem with calling it that instead of the way we do it and sometimes we don't even know what it means - like "active living" - does that mean we are still breathing or alive and kickin'?
One of the many buildings of our hotel and our room is on 2nd floor right in the middle with a balcony - pretty small but 2 little chairs fit on it.
And from now on we will have early rising and full active days! I'm ready and recovered from jet lag. And on our walked today I spotted an excellent gelato place a block or so ahead of us on our walk. The others say "sure we'll wait while you get one" and then suddenly they are ahead of me in line and agreed it was much needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment